How Do You Find the Momentum Space Wave Function for an Infinite Square Well?

In summary, wavefunctions can be found as solutions to the Schrödinger wave equation which must satisfy certain boundary conditions, and they can be found in either position or momentum space.
RPI_Quantum
How exactly does one find a wave function? Specifically, I am asked to find the momentum space wave functoin for the nth stationary state in an infinite square well. Then I am to graph the probability density (phi sqaured) for the first and second energy levels. Lastly, I need to use the momentum space wave function to find the expectation value of p^2.

For finding the expectation value, I assume that I need to integrate using p^2 as an operator between phi and phi*, just as I would if I was using the regular position wavefunction. Is this right?

Anyway, what I really need help with is finding a wave function, and graphing the probability densities.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the last question,yes u can use each of them...But with caustion.Remember the Parseval equality... :wink:

Solve the HE in the coordinate representation and then transfourier the wave function...

Daniel.

Hope I don't sound dumb, but I really have no idea about what you are saying. A lot of the math terminology was never taught to me, so even as I am trying to pick it up, some things escape me.

This seems like a fundmental question, which I have no idea about: where does the wave function come from? In the particular question that I am working on I am coming up with a wave equation for a square well.

RPI_Quantum said:
This seems like a fundmental question, which I have no idea about: where does the wave function come from? In the particular question that I am working on I am coming up with a wave equation for a square well.

Wavefunctions are found as solutions to the Schrödinger wave equation, subject to the particular boundary conditions of the system you are looking at. These conditions usually include things such as the wavefunction must be continuous as it crosses the boundary between regions of different potential.

As for finding the wavefunction in momentum space instead of position space, what dextercioby meant was that you can perform a Fourier transform between the two spaces, so if you know one the other isn't too hard to find.

There should be plenty of examples on the web if you just google 'square well potential' or something similar, and perhaps check mathworld for info on Fourier transforms. If your well is infinite, be sure to include that since it's a slightly simpler solution.

Related to How Do You Find the Momentum Space Wave Function for an Infinite Square Well?

What is momentum space wave function?

Momentum space wave function is a mathematical representation of a quantum system's wave function in terms of the momentum coordinates of its constituent particles. It is used to describe the momentum distribution of a particle in quantum mechanics.

How is momentum space wave function related to position space wave function?

Momentum space wave function is related to position space wave function through a mathematical operation known as Fourier transform. The Fourier transform converts the position space wave function into the momentum space wave function and vice versa.

What information can be obtained from momentum space wave function?

Momentum space wave function provides information about the momentum distribution of a particle, such as the average momentum, spread of momentum values, and probabilities of finding the particle at different momentum values.

How does the uncertainty principle apply to momentum space wave function?

The uncertainty principle states that the more accurately the momentum of a particle is known, the less accurately its position can be determined. This applies to momentum space wave function as well, where a narrow momentum distribution implies a wider position distribution and vice versa.

Can momentum space wave function be measured directly?

No, momentum space wave function cannot be measured directly. However, it can be indirectly measured by performing experiments and observations on a physical system, and then using mathematical techniques to analyze the results and determine the momentum space wave function.