How do you explain the CMB anisotropy diagram?

In summary, the CMB anisotropy diagram is a map of the cosmic microwave background radiation that shows tiny fluctuations in temperature across the sky. These fluctuations are measured using sensitive telescopes and are caused by variations in the density of matter in the early universe. The CMB anisotropy diagram strongly supports the Big Bang theory and studying it allows us to gain insights into the structure and evolution of the universe.
Simfish
Gold Member
http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/media/070950/070950b.jpg
So the x-axis is multipole moment, which I remember from 2nd-quarter electromagnetism. Anyways, it surprises me that 1000-order multipole moments can even be physically significant.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I got a professor to explain most of it to me. But I still don't get "opening angle". You supposedly can get a value with an "opening angle of 20". Or 21. Or 22.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How do you explain the CMB anisotropy diagram?

1. What is the CMB anisotropy diagram?

The CMB anisotropy diagram is a map of the cosmic microwave background (CMB) radiation that permeates the entire universe. It shows tiny fluctuations in the temperature of the CMB across the sky, which provide valuable information about the early universe and its evolution.

2. How do you measure the anisotropy in the CMB?

The anisotropy in the CMB is measured using sensitive telescopes that can detect the slight variations in temperature. These measurements are then represented in the form of a map, where the different colors indicate different temperature fluctuations.

3. What causes the anisotropy in the CMB?

The anisotropy in the CMB is caused by tiny fluctuations in the density of matter in the early universe. These fluctuations were present in the universe shortly after the Big Bang and were stretched out as the universe expanded, leaving imprints on the CMB radiation that we can observe today.

4. How does the CMB anisotropy diagram support the Big Bang theory?

The CMB anisotropy diagram is one of the strongest pieces of evidence supporting the Big Bang theory. It shows that the early universe was not uniform and that it went through a period of rapid expansion, also known as inflation. This is consistent with the predictions of the Big Bang theory.

5. What insights can we gain from studying the CMB anisotropy diagram?

Studying the CMB anisotropy diagram allows us to better understand the structure and evolution of the universe. It provides valuable information about the early universe, including the density of matter, the rate of expansion, and the distribution of energy. It also helps us test and refine our current models of the universe and its origins.