How Do You Determine the Angle That Maximizes Light Dispersion?

In summary: Is the correction interpretation and approach? ThanksIn summary, when light moves from a medium with a refractive index that is a function of wavelength to vacuum, dispersion will occur. To find the incident angle that maximizes dispersion, we need to find the maximum of the function dθ2/dλ, which can be achieved by solving d2θ2/dλ2=0 for θ1. This means finding the angle that produces the greatest change in diffraction angle for a small change in wavelength. The correct approach is to maximize the difference between the diffraction angles for each wavelength, rather than the difference between the diffraction angles and incident angle. The maximum angle of incidence for maximum dispersion is close to the critical angle, but not beyond
chipotleaway

Homework Statement

If light moves from a medium with a refractive index that is a function of wavelength, [\itex]n_1(\lambda)[/itex], to vacuum [itex]n_2=1[/itex], then dispersion will occur. Find the incident angle [itex]\theta_1[/itex] that will maximize dispersion.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm interpreting 'maximum dispersion' as if we change the wavelength a little, then the angle of refraction [itex]\theta_2[/itex] should change a lot. So I think we trying to find the maximum of the function [itex]\frac{d\theta_2}{d\lambda}[/itex], which means solving [itex]\frac{d^2\theta_2}{d\lambda^2}=0[/itex] for [itex]\theta_1[/itex].

Is the correction interpretation and approach? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The question asks for the _angle_ which results in the most dispersion; your wavelength dependent index of refraction is the dispersion relationship.

So consider the total fan of light for a particular set of wavelengths - for example, the two wavelengths 400 nm and 700 nm. The rays are parallel as they approach the interface, but are "dispersed" by some angle when they leave. It is this "dispersion" angle which needs to be maximized.

You already know the angle of incidence which minimizes it: zero degrees.

chipotleaway said:
So I think we trying to find the maximum of the function [itex]\frac{d\theta_2}{d\lambda}[/itex], which means solving [itex]\frac{d^2\theta_2}{d\lambda^2}=0[/itex] for [itex]\theta_1[/itex].
You are not trying to maximise [itex]\frac{d\theta_2}{d\lambda}[/itex] wrt λ.

So I should be maximizing the difference between the diffraction angles for each wavelengths?

chipotleaway said:
So I should be maximizing the difference between the diffraction angles for each wavelengths?
No. You are trying to maximise [itex]\frac{d\theta_2}{d\lambda}[/itex], but not wrt λ. What is the variable for which you are trying to pick a value?

[itex]\theta_1[/itex], which would mean [itex]\frac{d}{d\theta_1}\frac{d\theta_2}{d\lambda}[/itex]?

chipotleaway said:
[itex]\theta_1[/itex], which would mean [itex]\frac{d}{d\theta_1}\frac{d\theta_2}{d\lambda}[/itex]?
Yes.

the function i get is [tex]\frac{cos(\theta_1)(1-n^2sin^2(\theta_1))-n^2cos(\theta_1)sin^2(\theta_1)}{(1-n^2sin^2(\theta_1))^{3/2)}[\tex]. the numerator simplifies to cos(\theta) which implies the angle is 90 degrees which can't be right. i treated each variable as a constant when differentiating with respect to the other

chipotleaway said:
the function i get is [tex]\frac{cos(\theta_1)(1-n^2sin^2(\theta_1))-n^2cos(\theta_1)sin^2(\theta_1)}{(1-n^2sin^2(\theta_1))^{3/2)}[\tex]. the numerator simplifies to cos(\theta) which implies the angle is 90 degrees which can't be right. i treated each variable as a constant when differentiating with respect to the other
Fixing the LaTex:
[tex]\frac{cos(\theta_1)(1-n^2\sin^2(\theta_1))-n^2\cos(\theta_1)sin^2(\theta_1)}{(1-n^2\sin^2(\theta_1))^\frac 32}[/tex]
I think you have a sign wrong there, but let's step back a bit. What do you get for ∂θ2/∂λ as a function of λ, θ1 and n(λ)?

Differentiating [tex]arcsin(n(/lambda)sin(\theta_1)[/tex], I got [tex]\frac{sin(\theta_1)}{\sqrt(1-(n(\lambda)sin(\theta_1))^2}\frac{dn(\theta_2)}{d\lambda}[/tex].

ah, i seem to have forgotten the derivative term..

Last edited by a moderator:
chipotleaway said:
I got [tex]\frac{sin(\theta_1)}{\sqrt(1-(n(\lambda)sin(\theta_1))^2}\frac{dn(\lambda)}{d\lambda}[/tex].
(I corrected your d/dλ term.)
Right, now consider how that will behave as θ1 increases from 0.

Likes 1 person
Sorry about the latex errors (i am posting from my phone not good with the small keyboard).

It increases, and does so at faster rate for the larger n is...just looking at the plot of the expression without dn/dλ, there's no upper bound

Now compare with Snell's law ... is there a maximum angle of incidence?

could you please elaborate? do you mean find the max. angle of incidence from the expression?

Yes; start with Snell's law and find the maximum angle of incidence for a ray which exits the media ... do this for your shortest and longest wavelengths.

Then compare this result with the result of your calculations. Should these give the same results?

oh so the max. angle at which the ray exits. Wouldnt that just be maximizing the function of the refracted angle against the incident angle?

there are no numbers given for wavelength so I'm not sure if we're to assume visible light or not

Then just try a couple - 400 nm, 700 nm.

chipotleaway said:
Sorry about the latex errors (i am posting from my phone not good with the small keyboard).

It increases, and does so at faster rate for the larger n is...just looking at the plot of the expression without dn/dλ, there's no upper bound
Right, so what incident angle maximises it? (This is not a local maximum. The slope is never 0.)

haruspex said:
Right, so what incident angle maximises it? (This is not a local maximum. The slope is never 0.)

Taking n(λ)=1, the plot suggests it would be as larger an incident angle (x) in the plot as possible, which would be parallel to the boundary. But that's beyond the critical angle (and light along the boundary wouldn't be refracted or reflected, I don't think).

I also realized when trying to plot for larger n(λ) values, as it should be, that the incident angle must decrease as n(λ) does ot else you get negative square roots.
This doesn't make sense to me cause there shouldn't be restrictions on the incident angle.

Attachments

• plot.JPG
    plot.JPG
    9.6 KB · Views: 580
Max dispersion occurs as you near the critical angle.

Likes 1 person
So the best angle of dispersion is 'infinitely' close to the critical angle..?

Test your hypothesis!

chipotleaway said:
Taking n(λ)=1, the plot suggests it would be as larger an incident angle (x) in the plot as possible, which would be parallel to the boundary. But that's beyond the critical angle (and light along the boundary wouldn't be refracted or reflected, I don't think).
No, don't set n(λ)=1. That's what gave you a result beyond the critical angle. Look at this again:
[tex]\frac{sin(\theta_1)}{\sqrt(1-(n(\lambda)sin(\theta_1))^2)}\frac{dn(\theta_2)}{d\theta_1}[/tex].
As ##\theta_1## approaches the critical angle, what value does its sine tend to? What does that do to the denominator?

is that an error in your derivative term?

letting the incident angle approach the critical angle which is [itex]arcsin(\frac{1}{\lambda}[\itex], i get a 0 in the square root and 1/n in the numerator. (from evaluating the limit)

chipotleaway said:
is that an error in your derivative term?
Sorry, yes. The last bit should be dn/dλ, but it isn't important.
letting the incident angle approach the critical angle which is [itex]arcsin(\frac{1}{\lambda}[\itex], i get a 0 in the square root and 1/n in the numerator. (from evaluating the limit)
Exactly. So, as θ1 increases towards the critical angle, the dispersion increases without limit. The maximum is therefore at the critical angle.

Likes 1 person
Thank you!

chipotleaway said:
Thank you!
You're welcome. Reaching for d/dx = 0 to find an extremum without thinking about absolute extrema is an easy trap to fall into. I went that way at first on this problem too.

Related to How Do You Determine the Angle That Maximizes Light Dispersion?

1. What is light dispersion?

Light dispersion is the process by which white light separates into its component colors as it passes through a medium, such as a prism or a droplet of water. This is due to the different wavelengths of each color of light being refracted at different angles, causing them to separate and create a rainbow effect.

2. How can light dispersion be maximized?

Light dispersion can be maximized by using materials with a high refractive index, such as glass or diamond, as these materials cause light to bend more as it passes through them. Additionally, increasing the length of the medium through which the light passes can also increase dispersion.

3. What is the importance of maximizing light dispersion?

Maximizing light dispersion is important in a variety of fields, including optics, astronomy, and photography. It allows for the separation of different wavelengths of light, which can provide valuable information about the composition and properties of materials. It also creates visually stunning effects, such as rainbows and prismatic colors.

4. Are there any practical applications for maximizing light dispersion?

Yes, there are several practical applications for maximizing light dispersion. In optics, it is used in devices such as spectrometers and diffraction gratings to analyze the properties of light. In astronomy, it is used to study the composition of stars and planets. In photography, it can be used to create artistic effects and enhance the quality of images.

5. Are there any limitations to maximizing light dispersion?

Yes, there are some limitations to maximizing light dispersion. For example, using materials with a very high refractive index can cause a significant amount of light to be absorbed, leading to a decrease in overall brightness. Additionally, the angle at which the light enters the medium can also affect the amount of dispersion that occurs.