How Do You Determine the Allowed Radii in a Quantized Angular Momentum Scenario?

In summary, the allowed radii for the particle in terms of n, h, q, and B for n = 1,2,3,... are as follows: the radius is sqrt{2nhqB} for n = 1, the radius is 2nh for n = 2, and the radius is 3nh for n = 3.
scoldham

Homework Statement

A particle of charge q and a mass m, moving with a constant speed v, perpendicular to a constant magnetic field B, follows a circular path. If in this case the angular momentum about the center of this circle is quantized so that [tex]mvr_n = 2nh[/tex], determine the allowed radii for the particle in terms of n, h, q, and B for n = 1,2,3,...

Homework Equations

[tex]F = qvBsin\vartheta [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

As far as I can tell, this has something to do with relating magnetism to the quantum level. It is easy enough to calculate the radius at a given energy level by solving for [tex]r_n[/tex]. But I do not understand how to relate the charge and the B field to the situation. The best I can come up with is the formula provided... I feel like there is some way it ties into the problem. Help greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the relevant equation you have provided to write Newton's Second Law, F = ma. What is the acceleration for circular motion?

[tex]\frac{mv^2}{r_n} = qVB sin \vartheta [/tex]

[tex]sin \vartheta = 0[/tex] as the angle of the particle with the B field is 90 degrees.

So, simplifying I get,

[tex]r_n = \frac{mv}{qB} [/tex]

How do I tie in this equation with the above?

Last edited:
try to use your original equation mvr = 2nh again in the last equation to get red of mv ..

I think I see it now.

[tex]mv = \frac{2nh}{r_n}[/tex]

Subbing mv into equation from above [tex]r_n = \frac{mv}{qB} [/tex]

I get

[tex]r_n = \frac{2nh}{r_nqB}[/tex]

A bit more simplification yields [tex]r_n = \sqrt{\frac{2nh}{qB}}[/tex]

Is that correct?

well, it seems correct to me since you achieved what is required in the question which was asking to write r in terms of n, h, q, and B ..

Related to How Do You Determine the Allowed Radii in a Quantized Angular Momentum Scenario?

1. What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and interactions of subatomic particles at the quantum level. It explains the fundamental nature of matter and energy, and how they behave at the smallest scale.

2. What is the difference between classical physics and quantum physics?

Classical physics is the branch of physics that deals with the behavior of macroscopic objects, while quantum physics deals with the behavior of subatomic particles. Classical physics follows deterministic laws, while quantum physics follows probabilistic laws. Additionally, classical physics can explain macroscopic phenomena, while quantum physics is needed to explain the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

3. What are some real-world applications of quantum physics?

Quantum physics has many practical applications, such as in the development of new technologies like transistors, lasers, and computer memory. It is also used in medical imaging, cryptography, and quantum computing.

4. What is the uncertainty principle in quantum physics?

The uncertainty principle, also known as Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This is due to the wave-particle duality of subatomic particles, where they can act as both particles and waves simultaneously.

5. How does quantum entanglement work?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle affects the state of the other, even when they are separated by large distances. This occurs due to the principles of superposition and measurement in quantum mechanics.