How Do You Design an RF PIN Diode Switch for High Isolation?

In summary, the person is trying to design an RF PIN diode switch to meet certain specifications. They are having difficulty putting together a circuit schematic that will accomplish this. They are using ADS 2009 to do the schematic design. The first task to tackle is how to achieve isolation >25 db. They ask for help from the community and are grateful for any assistance that is provided.
jmckennon
Hi,

This is my first encouter with anything to do with RF design. I'm trying to design an RF PIN diode switch to meet certain specifications. I'm having considerable difficulty putting together a circuit schematic that will accomplish this.

My specs are:
Center frequency: 15GHz
Bandwidth 3GHz
Insertion loss<0.5db
Isolation>25db
Return loss<15db

I have a seedling schematic that has values I can't modify, but I'm allowed to do really whatever I want to design the bias circuits and switching networks. I'm using ADS 2009 to do the schematic design. Attached is the seedling schematic I'm working with.

Since I've never really done any design work with RF circuits, any help would be greatly appreciated. My first task to tackle, is how to achieve isolation >25db. Does anyone know how I would do this? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• schematic.bmp
    269.5 KB · Views: 1,447
Engineering news on Phys.org
Whoa! The first thing you should ask is why they assigned such a demanding task to a newbie! These specs are achievable but are not simple--and nothing at Ku band is simple anyway. Your attachment is illegible, so we can't help you there. In general you'll need to compensate for the parasitic reactance of the device package, and may need to use a shunt-iterated topology. Do you understand S-parameters, return loss, etc? ADS? If you build something do you understand enough about microwave instrumentation to measure and characterize your design? If you are truly new to RF, then you have a lot to learn.

It's unreasonable to ask for an education in RF/microwave engineering from the folks here. Suggest you start with a book or two on RF/MW design. Add classes and tutorials offered by Besser, the Agilent / ADS folks, etc. Then read up on pin diodes (you can find app notes online, here's the first one that Google listed: http://www.qsl.net/n9zia/wireless/pdf/an922.pdf").

As specific questions come up, or if you get stuck, then put up a post here and we can help you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand S parameters and return loss etc, but I've never built anything like this before. It doesn't have to be physically realizable it just needs to work in a simulation. I don't have too many things to worry about like a professional design would need, I just need it to meet certain design specs (this is an educational project). I'll try attaching the schematic I've put together so far. I guess the place where I am stuck right now is, how can I modify this so that I have an isolation >25 GHz?

Attachments

• Doc1.doc
    114 KB · Views: 342
jmckennon said:
I understand S parameters and return loss etc, but I've never built anything like this before. It doesn't have to be physically realizable it just needs to work in a simulation.
Oh, that's a relief! Put your switching elements in between the splitter and the output ports. If you use a shunt as you've done, you'll need to include a lambda/4 line so the other side sees an open. Use an iterated shunt to get more isolation, as explained in pin diode app notes. Compensating for package parasitics at your operating frequency will help as well.

Hi there,

Designing an RF PIN diode switch can be a challenging task, especially if you are new to RF design. The first step in designing any RF circuit is to understand the specifications and requirements, which you have clearly outlined. The center frequency, bandwidth, insertion loss, isolation, and return loss are all important factors to consider in your design.

To achieve isolation >25db, you will need to focus on the switching network of your circuit. The switching network is responsible for controlling the flow of RF signals and providing isolation between the input and output ports. One way to achieve high isolation is by using a series of cascaded switches and matching networks. This will help reduce the signal leakage and increase the isolation between the ports. However, this may also increase the insertion loss, so it is important to find a balance between isolation and insertion loss that meets your specifications.

Additionally, the bias circuits play a crucial role in the performance of your RF PIN diode switch. The bias circuits control the bias voltage applied to the diodes, which affects their capacitance and resistance. By optimizing the bias voltage, you can improve the switching speed and linearity of your switch, which can also contribute to achieving high isolation.

I would recommend using simulation tools like ADS to test and optimize your circuit before finalizing the design. This will help you identify any potential issues and fine-tune your design to meet the specifications. Also, don't hesitate to reach out to other experts or resources for guidance and support. Good luck with your design!

Related to How Do You Design an RF PIN Diode Switch for High Isolation?

1. What is a Simple RF PIN Diode Switch?

A Simple RF PIN diode switch is a type of electronic component used for switching radio frequency (RF) signals. It is composed of a PIN diode, which is a type of semiconductor diode, and is controlled by a DC voltage to either allow or block the RF signal.

2. How does a Simple RF PIN Diode Switch work?

The PIN diode in the switch has three layers: P-type, Intrinsic, and N-type. When a forward bias voltage is applied to the PIN diode, it becomes conductive and allows the RF signal to pass through. When a reverse bias voltage is applied, it becomes non-conductive and blocks the RF signal.

3. What are the advantages of using a Simple RF PIN Diode Switch?

One advantage is its high switching speed, which allows for fast switching between RF signals. It also has a low insertion loss, meaning it does not significantly degrade the signal passing through. Additionally, it has a small size and low cost, making it a practical choice for many RF applications.

4. What are the common applications of a Simple RF PIN Diode Switch?

Simple RF PIN diode switches are commonly used in RF communication systems, such as cellular networks, satellite communication, and radar systems. They are also used in test and measurement equipment, as well as in electronic warfare systems.

5. How do I choose the right Simple RF PIN Diode Switch for my application?

When selecting a Simple RF PIN diode switch, consider the frequency range, power handling capabilities, and switching speed required for your application. You should also consider the package size and cost. It is recommended to consult with a supplier or design engineer for assistance in choosing the right switch for your specific needs.