How Do You Create and Analyze an Acetic Acid Buffer Solution?

• Thread starter 4dhayman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Buffer
In summary, the speaker is asking about making a buffer solution and the use of the Henderson-Hasselbach equation. They are wondering if just adding acetic acid to water will produce a buffer, and if adding acid or base will change the pH of the buffer. The expert explains that a buffer requires both an acid and its conjugate base, and suggests adding a strong base or salt to achieve this. They also clarify that the conjugate base does not have to be the exact conjugate of the chosen acid.
4dhayman
I was wonder how I might go about making a buffer solution.

I plan to choose an acid and conjugate base (or vice versa) for my chosen pH using the Henderson-Hasselbach equation. But, let's say I choose acetic acid. Should I just pour some acetic acid into a volume of water and let equilibrium arise on its own? Will this produce a buffer?

Also, if I were to graph changes in pH over time and I add some acid to the buffer, will the buffer pH simply not change much, or will it exhibit damped motion around the target pH.

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you use just some acetic aid, you will not have a buffer - for that you need also a conjugated base. So you have to add either some strong base (like NaOH) to neutralize part of the acid, or salt (like sodium acetate) to enter requested amount of conjugated base.

After you add acid or base to buffer solution it will react with buffer components (acid or conjugated base) and the new pH will be again given by Henderson-Hasselbalch equation.

Note: this is rather chemistry question.

Buffer Maker - the ultimate buffer calculator

But, excuse my ignorance, doesn't the conjugate base have to be the conjugate of the acid used, so the acetic acid buffer would require acetate ions?

Sorry for misplacing this topic.

You need acetic acid/acetate pair, but that's not a problem - if you add strong base, acetic acid gets neutralized and becomes acetate, when you add strong acid, acetate gets protonated and becomes acetic acid.

Buffer Maker - the ultimate buffer calculator

Related to How Do You Create and Analyze an Acetic Acid Buffer Solution?

1. What is a buffer solution?

A buffer solution is a type of solution that is able to resist changes in pH when small amounts of acid or base are added. It consists of a weak acid and its conjugate base, or a weak base and its conjugate acid.

2. How do you prepare a buffer solution?

To prepare a buffer solution, you will need to mix a weak acid or base with its conjugate salt. First, calculate the desired pH of the buffer solution and choose a weak acid or base with a pKa or pKb value close to that pH. Then, use a buffer calculator to determine the appropriate amounts of the weak acid or base and its conjugate salt to mix together. Finally, add the weak acid or base to water and slowly add the conjugate salt with stirring until the desired pH is reached.

3. What is the importance of a buffer solution in scientific experiments?

A buffer solution is important in scientific experiments because it helps to maintain a constant pH, which is necessary for many chemical reactions to occur. It also allows for more accurate and reproducible results by minimizing the effects of small changes in pH.

4. Can I make a buffer solution at any pH?

Yes, you can make a buffer solution at any pH by choosing a weak acid or base with a pKa or pKb value close to the desired pH. However, there are certain limitations to buffer solutions at extreme pH values, as they may not be able to effectively resist changes in pH.

5. How long can a buffer solution be stored?

The stability of a buffer solution depends on the specific components and conditions, such as temperature and exposure to air. Generally, a buffer solution can be stored for several weeks to several months if kept in a tightly sealed container and stored in a cool, dark place. However, it is recommended to make fresh buffer solutions for each experiment to ensure accuracy and consistency.