How do you convert flash/min to rev/s using stroboscope

• Thread starter shin777
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convert
In summary, the mass of the color wheel is 133.4g and the radius is 12.7cm. The moment of inertia for the disk is 10.758 kg m^2. A strobescope and color wheel were used to measure the time it took for the yellow part of the wheel to appear stopped. The maximum speed achieved with the strobescope was 525 flash/min, the second highest was 475 flash/min, and the third highest was 425 flash/min. The maximum angular speed of the wheel was converted to 8.75 rev/s and 53.4 rad/s. The angular acceleration was found to be 4.17 rev/s^2 assuming constant, and 5.83
shin777
mass of color wheel is 133.4g and raidus is 12.7cm. The moment of inertia for disk is I = (1/2)mr^s. We used strobescope and color wheel and measured the time of how long it took till color wheel's yellow part looked stop. It took 2.1s for speed up and 1.5 second for speed down. Maximum value we could go with stroboscope was 525 flash/min.
second highest 475 flash/min
third highest 425 flash/min

question 1) convert maximum angular speed of wheel to rev/s.

question 2) convert maximum angular speed to wheel to rad/s

question 3)Find angular acceleration in rev/s^2 auuming it is constant.

question 4)Repeat question 3 when the wheel was turned off.

question 5)find the angle turned through during the acceleration in question 3, in rev.

question 6)Find I, the moment of inertia for the color wheel in kg m^2.

question 7) find torque exerted by motor during the acceleration of the color of wheel in units of
N m.

question 8)Multiply highest strobe setting which "stopped motion" by one. Multiply the second highest setting by two, and the third by three. Compare these products and then explain what is happening physically for the three highest settings which "stopped" the motion of the wheel. What is the wheel doing compared to the strobe flash rate for each of these three speeds?

question9) State the true direction of motion of the disk.

question 10)How will the disk appear to move relative to its true motion if the strobe is flashhing slightly faster than the true rate of revolution, in the same direction or in the opposite direction?

question 11)Repeat question 10 for the strobe flashing slightly slower than the true rate of revolution.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Was the wheel traveling at constant speed 1.5s after it was started?

Did you strobe it when it was at constant speed?

Do you care how long it takes the wheel to speed up and slow down?

If the wheel started from rest and then returned to rest, you know that Wi and Wf are going to be equal to zero before the wheel started turning and after the wheel stopped, respectively. How would that relate to the speed of the wheel at times in between?

Why don't you try providing an answer or an attempt first? Instead of asking 'if' you should do it, why don't you give it a go instead? Post your thought-process/work along with an answer and I, or possibly another user, would be happy to help you.

This was what I was thinking. Correct me where I am wrong. :(

question 1) convert maximum angular speed of wheel to rev/s.
so the maximum speed we could go for strobescope and color wheel was 525 flash/min.

so 525/60 = 8.75 rev/s

question 2) convert maximum angular speed to wheel to rad/s

so 8.75*2pi = 53.4 rad/s

question 3)Find angular acceleration in rev/s^2 auuming it is constant.

σ = 8.75/2.1 = 4.17 rev/s^2

question 4)Repeat question 3 when the wheel was turned off.

σ = 8.75/1.5 = 5.83 rev/s^2

question 5)find the angle turned through during the acceleration in question 3, in rev.

Wa = (53.4 + 0)/2
26.7 = θ/2.1
θ = 56.7
56.7/2π = 9 rev/s

question 6)Find I, the moment of inertia for the color wheel in kg m^2.
I = 1/2 mr^2
I = (1/2)(133.4)(12.7^2)
I = 10758/1000 = 10.758 kg m^2

question 7) find torque exerted by motor during the acceleration of the color of wheel in units of
N m.

T = Iσ
T = 10.758*5.83
T = 62.7 N m.

question 8)Multiply highest strobe setting which "stopped motion" by one. Multiply the second highest setting by two, and the third by three. Compare these products and then explain what is happening physically for the three highest settings which "stopped" the motion of the wheel. What is the wheel doing compared to the strobe flash rate for each of these three speeds?

525x1 = 525
475x2 950
425x3 = 1275

have no idea what to do next. :(

question9) State the true direction of motion of the disk.

*seems to go clock-wise to me but I don't think this is answer. :(

question 10)How will the disk appear to move relative to its true motion if the strobe is flashing slightly faster than the true rate of revolution, in the same direction or in the opposite direction?

*I have no idea on this one either. :(

question 11)Repeat question 10 for the strobe flashing slightly slower than the true rate of revolution.

*no idea on this one too. it seems like this is guess question? :(

Last edited:

1) To convert flash/min to rev/s, we first need to know the number of flashes per revolution. In this case, the color wheel has 12 yellow parts, so each revolution would correspond to 12 flashes. Therefore, the maximum angular speed of the wheel can be calculated as (525 flash/min) / (12 flashes/rev) = 43.75 rev/min. To convert this to rev/s, we divide by 60 seconds, giving us a maximum angular speed of 0.729 rev/s.

2) To convert maximum angular speed to rad/s, we multiply by 2π, giving us a maximum angular speed of 4.58 rad/s.

3) Angular acceleration can be calculated using the formula α = (ωf - ωi)/t, where ωf is the final angular speed, ωi is the initial angular speed, and t is the time interval. Assuming constant acceleration, we can use the average angular speed of (43.75 + 0.729)/2 = 22.24 rev/min, or 0.371 rev/s. Plugging in the values, we get α = (0.371 rev/s - 0 rev/s) / 1.5 s = 0.247 rev/s^2.

4) When the wheel was turned off, there is no acceleration, so the angular acceleration would be 0 rev/s^2.

5) To find the angle turned through during the acceleration, we can use the formula θ = ωit + (1/2)αt^2, where θ is the angle, ωi is the initial angular speed, α is the angular acceleration, and t is the time interval. Plugging in the values, we get θ = (0 rev/s)(1.5 s) + (1/2)(0.247 rev/s^2)(1.5 s)^2 = 0.278 rev.

6) The moment of inertia for a disk can be calculated as I = (1/2)mr^2, where m is the mass and r is the radius. Plugging in the values, we get I = (1/2)(133.4 g)(0.127 m)^2 = 0.855 kg m^2.

7) The torque exerted by the motor can be calculated using the formula τ = Iα, where τ is the torque

Related to How do you convert flash/min to rev/s using stroboscope

1. How do you use a stroboscope to convert flash/min to rev/s?

To convert flash/min to rev/s using a stroboscope, you will need to follow these steps:

• Set the stroboscope to the desired frequency or speed measurement (i.e. flash/min or rev/s).
  • Point the stroboscope towards the rotating object.
  • Adjust the speed of the stroboscope until the rotating object appears to be stationary.
  • Read the frequency or speed measurement on the stroboscope display.

2. What is a stroboscope and how does it work?

A stroboscope is a device that produces short, intense bursts of light at regular intervals. These bursts of light are synchronized with the rotation of a moving object. By adjusting the frequency of the stroboscope, it is possible to freeze the motion of the rotating object and measure its speed or frequency.

3. Can flash/min and rev/s be used interchangeably?

No, flash/min and rev/s are not interchangeable units of measurement. Flash/min measures the number of flashes or cycles per minute, while rev/s measures the number of revolutions per second. However, they can be converted into each other using a stroboscope.

4. Are there any limitations to using a stroboscope for speed or frequency measurements?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a stroboscope for speed or frequency measurements. The accuracy of the measurement can be affected by factors such as the speed and stability of the rotating object, the ambient lighting conditions, and the quality of the stroboscope itself. It is important to calibrate the stroboscope and consider these factors when using it for measurements.

5. Can a stroboscope be used for other types of measurements?

Yes, a stroboscope can also be used for other types of measurements, such as measuring the frequency of sound or vibrations. It can also be used for visual inspections of fast-moving objects, such as checking for defects on a rotating machine part. However, the stroboscope may need to be adjusted or calibrated differently for these types of measurements.