How do you control the output frequecy of full wave rectifier circuit?

In summary, to convert AC power to 60 Hz, you would need either a motor-generator device or to rectify the power and use an inverter.
thebluser
what i mean is, if i want to make a certain rectifier circuit to some sort of load, how would i know which diodes and transistors/IGBT's/MOSFET's to use? for example, i have an AC source with 50 hertz and a load that requires 60 hertz, what would i use? can you show me calculations?

Engineering news on Phys.org

thebluser said:
what i mean is, if i want to make a certain rectifier circuit to some sort of load, how would i know which diodes and transistors/IGBT's/MOSFET's to use? for example, i have an AC source with 50 hertz and a load that requires 60 hertz, what would i use? can you show me calculations?

To convert from 50Hz to 60Hz, you need to use a motor-generator device (a 50Hz AC motor drives the input shaft of a 60Hz generator), or you need to rectify the 50Hz power to DC, and use a 60Hz inverter to generate the output power.

You cannot just use a "rectifier" circuit to change the frequency of the power waveform from 50Hz to 60Hz. If the output frequency were 2x the input frequency, you could use a full-wave rectifier followed by filtering to remove the harmonics.

ok so after i doubled the frequency from the rectifier circuit and it comes out as DC, will the DC double again after it will enter another rectifying circuit? or do i need to convert it to ac again and then i could double it?

AC to DC is a rectifer, then you have DC - som ripple, but true "frequesncy" as you are using the term. DC to AC is an inverter.

You need a Rectifier + Inverter. An easy way may be to buy a UPS if the load is not too big.

Also -- what is the load - device? a surprising number if devices can run on 50 or 60 Hz.

Berkman - can you explain "If the output frequency were 2x the input frequency, you could use a full-wave rectifier ..." I am perplexed

When you full-wave rectify a sine wave, you get a waveform that is 2x in frequency, plus the sub-harmonic at the fundamental, plus higher harmonics from the sharp-edged side of the waveform. If you feed that into another transformer and a filter at the 2x frequency, you can get pretty close to a 2x sine wave out. I've never done it, but it looks pretty plausible.

http://www.eleinmec.com/figures/018_04.gif

018_04.gif

OK - I see what you mean- that would have a pretty ugly waveform, more humps than a sine, and if directly into a transformer it would saturate due to DC. Some capacitive coupling would take care of that but would be tough to transfer much power without big caps.
Now theBluser needs somethng to run on 100Hz...

Windadct said:
OK - I see what you mean- that would have a pretty ugly waveform, more humps than a sine, and if directly into a transformer it would saturate due to DC. Some capacitive coupling would take care of that but would be tough to transfer much power without big caps.
Now theBluser needs somethng to run on 100Hz...

[STRIKE]Don't think it would saturate the transformer. There is an assymmetry to the waveform, but don't get fooled by the fact that we usually take the (floating) output of the first transformer and rectify the output and *then* reference it to ground. Just take the FWR output and put it straight into a 2nd transformer/filter...[/STRIKE]

After further thought, you are correct. The FWR makes the current always flow one direction through the primary of the 2nd transformer, so it would need to be sized to be able to handle twice the AC flux compared to if the input to the 2nd transformer were AC. Sorry for my mis-statement above.

Last edited:

No apologies - just open discussion. In AC inverters any current asymmetry is a problem for down stream magnetics - including motors, so it comes up a lot. Of course these end discussions often drive the OP's batty...

thanks everyone :D

Related to How do you control the output frequecy of full wave rectifier circuit?

1. How does a full wave rectifier circuit control the output frequency?

A full wave rectifier circuit controls the output frequency by using a diode bridge network to convert alternating current (AC) to direct current (DC). This process involves switching the direction of the current flow, resulting in a more constant output frequency.

2. Can the output frequency of a full wave rectifier circuit be adjusted?

Yes, the output frequency of a full wave rectifier circuit can be adjusted by changing the values of the components used, such as the diodes and capacitors. By altering these values, the switching frequency and output frequency can be adjusted accordingly.

3. What is the maximum output frequency of a full wave rectifier circuit?

The maximum output frequency of a full wave rectifier circuit is twice the input frequency. This is because the diode bridge network switches the direction of the current twice per cycle, resulting in a doubled output frequency.

4. Can a full wave rectifier circuit produce a steady output frequency?

Yes, a full wave rectifier circuit can produce a steady output frequency. However, this requires a constant input frequency and stable components. Any fluctuations in the input frequency or component values can result in variations in the output frequency.

5. How does the load affect the output frequency of a full wave rectifier circuit?

The load does not directly affect the output frequency of a full wave rectifier circuit. However, the load can influence the output voltage and current, which can indirectly impact the output frequency. A heavier load may result in a decreased output frequency due to increased resistance and voltage drop.