How do you chart the fourth dimension on a 3d plane?

In summary, the conversation is about mapping dimensions and exploring theoretical mathematics. The questioner is asking if cubing a variable on a third-dimensional plane is enough to represent fourth-dimensional operations, and if this can lead to new knowledge and applications. However, the conversation becomes derailed due to unclear questions and a lack of understanding of basic mathematical concepts. The expert summarizer suggests the questioner take Algebra and Calculus classes to better understand the topic.
shawnr
Do you just cube a variable? How does it work?

Has this been figured out yet? Any thoughts if it hasn't? Any applications if it has?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
shawnr said:
Do you just cube a variable? How does it work?

Has this been figured out yet? Any thoughts if it hasn't? Any applications if it has?
Your question is unclear. A plane is inherently two-dimensional. A plane can be embedded in three-dimensional space, though.

What exactly do you mean by "chart the fourth dimension on a 3d plane?"

Like z-y-x axis Cartesian plane. I'm only slightly educated.

you can map the 0th, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd on number line (or first dimension plane[excuse the term]). You can see each dimension's interpretation on other dimensions. The only difference being variables used. How does the fourth look on the third?

If the quadratic formula represents the actions or operations of third, would cubing a variable on the third dimension be enough to suffice fourth dimensional operations

shawnr said:
Like z-y-x axis Cartesian plane.
The Cartesian plane is two-dimensional, so there are only two axes, typically x and y. There are not three axes.
shawnr said:
I'm only slightly educated.

you can map the 0th, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd on number line (or first dimension plane[excuse the term]).
? I don't know what you're saying here.
shawnr said:
You can see each dimension's interpretation on other dimensions. The only difference being variables used. How does the fourth look on the third?
Or here, either.

shawnr said:
If the quadratic formula represents the actions or operations of third
The Quadratic Formula is used to find the two solutions of a general quadratic equation -- ax2 + bx + c = 0. Maybe you're thinking of the area of a square, A = x2, or the volume of a cube, V = x3.
shawnr said:
, would cubing a variable on the third dimension be enough to suffice fourth dimensional operations
We live in a three-dimensional world. Most of us cannot visualize a space with more than three dimensions. In mathematics there are objects with more than three dimensions, but you can't visualize the space that they belong to.

It's still not clear to me what you're asking.

Somebody else. You're too applicable. This is a pure mathematics question.

shawnr said:
Somebody else. You're too applicable. This is a pure mathematics question.

What? How is this a pure math thread? Do you know what pure mathematics is?

What is Theoretical Mathematics? Now can you answer mine.

shawnr said:
What is Theoretical Mathematics? Now can you answer mine.
Bringing up a synonym doesn't demonstrate you understand the concepts inherent in it.

Look, you've claimed Mark is "too applicable" (sic), and yet he's given you pure math answers. Secondly, visualization of mathematics is not mathematics. Thirdly, you're post makes no sense.

pwsnafu said:
Bringing up a synonym doesn't demonstrate you understand the concepts inherent in it.

Look, you've claimed Mark is "too applicable" (sic), and yet he's given you pure math answers. Secondly, visualization of mathematics is not mathematics. Thirdly, you're post makes no sense.
I don't know how to break down the word theoretical any farther without sounding pretentious. I will do my best: Theoretical anything is the point at which you develop frameworks for knowledge. If knowledge would be applicable then the frameworks for theoretical would be considered wisdom. So math wisdom is what we are dealing with. More precisely, while applicable allows use of gained wisdom to apply towards real-world problems, theoretical is the search for new knowledge in the hopes of breaking ground for the applicable world. The Greeks were extremely theoretical until Alexandria became the capitol of thought in the classic world.

"too applicable" is a good phrase that demonstrates my thoughts about him, and if you feel it is out of context that is due to your poor intuitive skills. Don't sic me unless you like sounding like an idiot. I use all my words intentionally and justifiably.

I don't particularly know what you mean by visualization of mathematics as I'm not particularly asking you to invent the fourth dimension... I'm asking you to use established mathematical parameters to help look beyond the applicable and see how our current knowledge applies to next-gen theoretical. I'm not sure what you're saying here.

I can't be any clearer about my post without feeling like I'm wasting my time. If you can't understand it then you need to re-read it. Perhaps take an Algebra 1 class, then a Calculus III class. Those are really the only two classes you need to understand what I'm talking about.
While there are extra postulates, these classes are the backbone of my question.

Good luck

bump. Any commentary on the possibilities or possible uses

@shawnr, this thread is closed. You have asked a nonsensical question, and it has been answered. Instead of insulting members of this forum who have taken time to try to make sense of your question, you should make the effort to learn some mathematics.

Related to How do you chart the fourth dimension on a 3d plane?

1. How do you define the fourth dimension?

The fourth dimension is defined as an additional dimension beyond the three dimensions of length, width, and height that we are familiar with in our physical world. It is often referred to as time, and is essential for understanding the movement and changes of objects in the universe.

2. Can the fourth dimension be visualized on a 3d plane?

No, the fourth dimension cannot be fully visualized on a 3d plane. Our brains are limited to perceiving and understanding only three dimensions, so it is impossible to accurately depict the fourth dimension in a 3d space. However, there are mathematical and scientific methods for representing and understanding the fourth dimension.

3. How do you represent the fourth dimension mathematically?

The fourth dimension is often represented mathematically using the concept of a coordinate system. In three dimensions, we use the x, y, and z axes to locate an object in space. In four dimensions, we add a fourth axis, usually denoted by the letter w, to represent the object's position in time.

4. What is the significance of charting the fourth dimension?

Charting the fourth dimension allows us to better understand the behavior and movement of objects in the universe. It is crucial for fields such as physics, astronomy, and engineering, where precise measurements and predictions are necessary. It also helps us conceptualize and explore the idea of time and its role in our world.

5. Are there any real-world applications for charting the fourth dimension?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for charting the fourth dimension. For example, in physics, it is essential for understanding the behavior of particles in space-time. In engineering, it is used for designing complex structures and predicting their movements. It also has applications in computer graphics and animation, allowing for more realistic and accurate depictions of movement and change.