How Do You Calculate Wine Redox Titration Results?

In summary, The method used to titrate a wine sample consisted of calculating the concentration of dichromate and thiosulfate ions, and using an equation to convert the ions to moles. The next step was to use stoichiometry to determine how many potassium dichromate and sodium thiosulfate ions were present in the solution.
Spacec0wboy
Hi guys,

A few days ago we conducted a wine redox back titration in my chemistry class, and my teacher has asked us to calculate to answer all of the questions on a sheet she gave us. Attached is this sheet, outlining the method we followed, the materials used and all the questions she wants us to answer. I know this information will be important too: we titrated 3 samples of 2 different wines and for wine 1 the average titration volume was 30.76mL and for wine 2 it was 24.96mL. Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• wine_redox_back_titration_experiment.jpg
    wine_redox_back_titration_experiment.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 529
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone? I know I'm supposed to provide an attempt of my work but I honestly have no idea on how to even do any of this. I have an extremely good grasp of maths but my knowledge and understanding of chemistry unfortunately does not match this. Even if anyone could get me started it would help.

Starting from the beginning then.

What was the concentration of the dichromate solution used?

ok so far what I've done is (for the dichromate)

n = C x V
therefore n = 0.04M x 0.02L
= 0.0008mol
and for the thiosulfate

n = C x V
n = 0.01M x 0.03076L <------ (that is the average titration volume for wine 1)
n = 0.0003076mol
Does this represent the number of dichromate and thiosulfate ions respectively, or does it just represent the moles of potassium dichromate solution and sodium thiosulfate solution?
Also the next step is confusing, what equation do i use and what sort of stoichiometry do I use?

Bump

I have progressed a lot with the solutions to the questions posted above in the attached image. Can someone please check my working for me in the attached pdf and notify me if I have done my calculations correctly? Also just for reference, a 5mL wine sample (with double the concentration of a 10mL sample) was used in my case, not a 10mL sample as is specified in the experiment background.

Attachments

• Wine_Redox_Titration_Calculations.pdf
    267.9 KB · Views: 273
I have checked just the first case - and I don't see anything blatantly off. Unfortunately, neither the quality of original image nor quality of pdf are helping in checking the details, which is why I was reluctant to even try. Please, next time do some effort to write these things using computer, so that they are readable.

Related to How Do You Calculate Wine Redox Titration Results?

1. What is a redox titration and how does it relate to wine?

A redox titration is a type of chemical analysis that involves measuring the change in oxidation state of a substance. In the context of wine, redox titrations are used to determine the concentration of certain compounds, such as sulfites, which can affect the quality and taste of the wine.

2. Why is a redox titration important in winemaking?

Redox titrations are important in winemaking because they allow winemakers to accurately measure the concentration of certain compounds, such as sulfites, which can affect the quality and stability of the wine. This information is crucial for maintaining consistency in the production of wine.

3. What equipment is needed for a wine redox titration?

The equipment needed for a wine redox titration typically includes a burette, a flask or beaker, a stirrer, an indicator, and a pipette or syringe for precise measurements. Other equipment, such as a pH meter or spectrophotometer, may also be used depending on the specific titration method.

4. How is a wine redox titration performed?

A wine redox titration is performed by adding a known amount of a reagent, such as a standard solution of potassium permanganate, to a sample of wine. The reaction between the reagent and the compound being measured is then monitored using an indicator or other measuring device. The endpoint of the titration is reached when the indicator changes color, and the amount of reagent used can be used to calculate the concentration of the compound in the wine.

5. What are some common sources of error in a wine redox titration?

Some common sources of error in a wine redox titration include improper calibration of equipment, inaccurate measurements, and contamination of the sample. It is important to carefully follow the titration procedure and use precise measuring techniques to minimize these errors and ensure accurate results.