How Do You Calculate Uncertainty in Physics Equations?

In summary, error propagation is the process of determining the overall uncertainty in a final result by combining the uncertainties in the measured quantities and the mathematical operations used to calculate the result. It is commonly used in scientific research and engineering to ensure accuracy. The main assumptions made when using error propagation formulas are independence and randomness of uncertainties and linearity of mathematical operations. To apply error propagation in practice, uncertainties in measured quantities are first determined and then combined using appropriate formulas. Some common error propagation formulas include those for addition/subtraction, multiplication/division, power, and logarithm.
~Sam~

Homework Statement

What are the uncertainty propagation formulas for:
Area of a rectangle
Density of a sphere
Height of an opposite side wall calculated by tan(θ)=o/a
Resistance

Homework Equations

Area of rectangle= side A *side B
Density of a sphere= mass/(4/3piR^3)
tan(θ)=opp/adj
Resistance= R=V/I

The Attempt at a Solution

Rectangle I have: A=LW
dA=dlW+dwL
dl and dw are the relative uncertainty of L and W by instrument.

Sphere: I have dp=(3 dm/4piR^3)+(3m/12piR^2dr)
dm and dr are uncertaintities of mass and radius

For heigh: do= tan(θ)da+sec2(θ)a*dtan(θ)
da and dtan(θ) are the relative uncertainties

For resistance: dR= 1dV/I+ VdI/1

If these are correct would I use a sum formula like u(c)= sum of all squares? or would I separate the partial derivatives from the uncertainties and then square and sum like (dl2)W2+(dw2)L2? I'm kinda confused which formula is the general formula for uncertainty propagation.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the area of a rectangle, the uncertainty propagation formula is: dA = dL * W + dW * Lwhere dL and dW are the relative uncertainties of the length and width of the rectangle, respectively. For the density of a sphere, the uncertainty propagation formula is: dp = (3 dm / 4πR3) + (3m / 12πR2 dr)where dm and dr are the relative uncertainties of the mass and radius of the sphere, respectively.For the height of an opposite side wall calculated by tan(θ) = o/a, the uncertainty propagation formula is: do = tan(θ) * da + sec2(θ) * a * dtan(θ)where da and dtan(θ) are the relative uncertainties.For the resistance, the uncertainty propagation formula is: dR = (1 dV / I) + (V dI / 1)where dV and dI are the relative uncertainties of the voltage and current, respectively. In all cases, the general formula for uncertainty propagation is to square and sum each individual uncertainty term, i.e. u(c) = Σi(di2).

The uncertainty propagation formulas for the given quantities are as follows:

1. Area of a rectangle:
The uncertainty in the area of a rectangle (dA) can be calculated using the formula:
dA = L*dW + W*dL
where L and W are the lengths of the sides of the rectangle and dL and dW are the relative uncertainties in the measurements of L and W, respectively.

2. Density of a sphere:
The uncertainty in the density of a sphere (dp) can be calculated using the formula:
dp = (3*dm)/(4*pi*R^3) + (3*m*dR)/(12*pi*R^2)
where m is the mass of the sphere, R is the radius of the sphere, and dm and dR are the relative uncertainties in the measurements of m and R, respectively.

3. Height of an opposite side wall calculated by tan(θ)=o/a:
The uncertainty in the height of the opposite side wall (do) can be calculated using the formula:
do = tan(θ)*da + sec^2(θ)*a*dθ
where a is the length of the adjacent side and dθ and da are the relative uncertainties in the measurements of θ and a, respectively.

4. Resistance:
The uncertainty in the resistance (dR) can be calculated using the formula:
dR = (1/I)*dV + (V/I^2)*dI
where V is the voltage and I is the current, and dV and dI are the relative uncertainties in the measurements of V and I, respectively.

To calculate the overall uncertainty for each quantity, you can use the sum formula:
u(c) = sqrt(dL^2 + dW^2 + dR^2 + dθ^2 + dV^2 + dI^2)
where each d represents the individual uncertainties calculated above. This formula takes into account all the partial derivatives and uncertainties, and provides a more accurate estimation of the overall uncertainty.

Related to How Do You Calculate Uncertainty in Physics Equations?

What is error propagation?

Error propagation is the process of determining how uncertainties in the measured quantities of a scientific experiment or calculation affect the overall uncertainty in the final result. It involves using mathematical formulas to quantify and combine the uncertainties in each quantity to determine the overall uncertainty in the final result.

What are error propagation formulas used for?

Error propagation formulas are used to calculate the uncertainty in a final result based on the uncertainties in the measured quantities and the mathematical operations used to calculate the final result. They are commonly used in scientific research and engineering to ensure the accuracy and reliability of experimental results and calculations.

What are the assumptions made when using error propagation formulas?

The main assumptions made when using error propagation formulas are that the uncertainties in the measured quantities are independent and random, and that the mathematical operations used to calculate the final result are linear or can be approximated as linear. These assumptions may not hold true in all cases and can affect the accuracy of the error propagation calculations.

How do you apply error propagation formulas in practice?

To apply error propagation formulas in practice, you first need to determine the uncertainties in each of the measured quantities involved in the calculation. Then, you use the appropriate error propagation formula based on the mathematical operations used to calculate the final result. Finally, you combine the uncertainties using the formula to determine the overall uncertainty in the final result.

What are some common error propagation formulas?

Some common error propagation formulas include the addition/subtraction formula, the multiplication/division formula, the power formula, and the logarithm formula. These formulas are used to calculate the uncertainty in the final result when adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing, raising to a power, or taking the logarithm of measured quantities with uncertainties.