How Do You Calculate Total Resistance in a Complex Circuit?

• Thread starter VisualStudio
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Network
In summary, The homework statement is asking for someone to calculate the total resistance between two points. The circuit has five resistors in series and two in parallel. The resistors in parallel are not in series with each other. There are also two resistors that are in series with each other, and one resistor that is shorted. If you can't simplify the circuit to one resistor, you will need to add a voltage source to it.
VisualStudio

Homework Statement

Capture.PNG

In the above diagram, calculate the total resistance between A and C

R1 = R2 = R3 = R5 = 3.3 Ω

R4 = R7 = R8 = 6.6 Ω

R6 = R9 = R10 = 2.4 Ω

Homework Equations

Sum/Product

The Attempt at a Solution

Can anyone give me an insight on where to start for this?
So my current guess is that, R8+R10 = Parallel, meaning that then becomes in series with R9, I really don't know where to start with this

Physics news on Phys.org
VisualStudio said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 75113
In the above diagram, calculate the total resistance between A and C

R1 = R2 = R3 = R5 = 3.3 Ω

R4 = R7 = R8 = 6.6 Ω

R6 = R9 = R10 = 2.4 Ω

Homework Equations

Sum/Product

The Attempt at a Solution

So my current guess is that, R8+R10 = Parallel, meaning that then becomes in series with R9, I really don't know where to start with this

Welcome to the PF.

I don't see a lot of simplifications in the circuit. Just write the KCL equations and solve. Put a 1V source between A and C, and see how much current you get. :-)

Hi, the question is to calculate the total resistance, therefore we don't need to put in a correct source, correct?

VisualStudio said:
Hi, the question is to calculate the total resistance, therefore we don't need to put in a correct source, correct?

But that network is complicated enough that I don't see easy ways to use series & parallel combinations to collapse the network down to a resistor between A & C. Instead, just put an imaginary 1V voltage source between A & C, and calculate the node voltages and currents. That is one way to figure out the equivalent resistance.

VisualStudio said:
R8 and R10 aren't in parallel. R9 and R10 are, but their combination isn't in series with anything else. There are two other pairs in parallel as well. Note also that R1 is shorted.

If you know the delta-wye transformation, you could use that, but Berkeman's suggestion is probably easiest once you simplify the circuit as much as you can.

Ok thanks for your help, i'll be having another crack at it tommorrow. So what is exactly in series and parallel please?

When two elements are In series, the current that goes through one must go through the other.

When two elements are in parallel, they're connected to the same two nodes, so the voltage across them is identical.

So do you think it's wise that I add a voltage source to this circuit? And where would i place it?

If you can't simplify it down to one resistor, then yes, you need to add a source. You're trying to find the resistance between A and C, right? Where do you think you should place the source?

Sorry for the late reply, I think delta star transformation would be the way about it. Where would I start with this?

Could anyone help me with this?

First make all the parallel resistance simplifications that are available. Pay attention to what R1 is connected to.
Then identify an obvious candidate for Y to Delta transformation to generate more parallel resistor opportunities.

You can use series and parallel resistors until you get a network with 5 resistors where this does not work any more (plus one resistor that can be treated separately).
That smaller network will need a Delta/Y transformation or Kirchhoff's laws, but start with the easier steps first.

Related to How Do You Calculate Total Resistance in a Complex Circuit?

1. What is a resistive network?

A resistive network is a circuit composed of resistors connected together in a specific pattern. It is used to control and manipulate the flow of current in a circuit.

2. Why is a resistive network important in electronics?

A resistive network is important in electronics because it allows us to control the flow of current and voltage in a circuit, which is crucial for the proper functioning of electronic devices.

3. What are the different types of resistive networks?

There are two main types of resistive networks: series and parallel. In a series network, resistors are connected one after another in a single path, while in a parallel network, resistors are connected side by side, creating multiple paths for the current to flow through.

4. How do you calculate the total resistance in a resistive network?

The total resistance in a series resistive network is the sum of all the individual resistances. In a parallel resistive network, the total resistance is calculated using the formula 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn, where Rt is the total resistance and R1, R2, etc. are the individual resistances.

5. What is the purpose of a Wheatstone bridge in a resistive network?

A Wheatstone bridge is a type of resistive network used for measuring unknown resistances. It is a balanced bridge circuit that can be used to calculate the value of an unknown resistor by comparing it to known resistances.