How Do You Calculate Torque and Power for Rotational Motion in Space?

In summary, the student is trying to solve a problem that is underspecified. They need to find the power and torque required for the motor, as well as the time required. They need to know the initial and final speeds as well as the translation and rotation of the center of mass.
Rajika

Homework Statement

So I need to move this rod with length r from point A to B as shown. It has to rotate from A to B which is 90° within 10 seconds. What I want to calculate is the torque and power required if a motor was to produce this motion (location of the motor is shown in the diagram). Can you then also calculate the torque and power required from the motor if this was in space (object is weightless, but the mass is still there). you can ignore friction and other small effects. here's the link for the diagram http://imgur.com/a/egtnK

Homework Equations

P = T * w
w - angular velocity
T - Torque
P - Power

The Attempt at a Solution

So I'm guessing using the above equation we can find power required for the motor?
So I can calculate angular velocity as follows,
w = 90/10 = pi/20 radians per second.

But now how do I calculate torque? What happens in space when there's no weight?

Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
The angular velocity cannot be constant. The rod has to be accelerated at some finite rate...

Rajika said:
the torque and power required
... consequently, torque, or power, or both must vary. Is the constraint constant torque or constant power?
Rajika said:
I can calculate angular velocity as follows,
w = 90/10 = pi/20 radians per second.
That's the average angular velocity.

Welcome to PF;
Torque is calculated in the normal way - how would you usually go about it?
Weight is just the force due to gravitation - when you do not have any weight, just don't include that force in your calculations.

Note: the problem presented seems to be underspecified:
You want to get something from position p to position q, and it has an initial and final orientation.
You also need to know the initial and final speeds as well as the time required for the manouver... and you need to specify if the move is done under constant acceleration or what.

In general, you divide the motion into translation of the center of mass and rotation about the center of mass... and you need vector equations.

so I want the initial velocity and the final velocity to be zero. I want the rod to move from point A to B in 10 seconds.

Rajika said:
so I want the initial velocity and the final velocity to be zero. I want the rod to move from point A to B in 10 seconds.
There are literally an infinite number of ways to do this ... you will need at least two forces and two torques, which each must act over some subset of the 10s time period for the motion. ie. do you want 5s acceleration and 5s deceleration? Or do you want the acceleration and deceleration to be very short - like getting hit by a mallet? (In which case we probably want specific-impulse forms of the laws). What are the constraints? ie. are you limited in available energy for the manouver (ie a rocket would have limited fuel).

Related to How Do You Calculate Torque and Power for Rotational Motion in Space?

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or center point, where every point on the object moves in a circular path at the same angular velocity.

2. What are some examples of rotational motion?

Some common examples of rotational motion include a spinning top, a swinging pendulum, a rotating wheel, and the Earth's rotation around its axis.

3. How is rotational motion different from linear motion?

Rotational motion involves movement around an axis, while linear motion involves movement along a straight line. Additionally, rotational motion is characterized by angular displacement, velocity, and acceleration, while linear motion is characterized by linear displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

4. What is the difference between angular displacement and linear displacement?

Angular displacement measures the change in the angle of rotation of an object, while linear displacement measures the change in position of an object along a straight line. Angular displacement is typically measured in radians, while linear displacement is measured in meters.

5. How is rotational motion related to torque and angular momentum?

Torque is the measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis, while angular momentum is the measure of an object's tendency to keep rotating at a constant angular velocity. These concepts are closely related to rotational motion, as torque is responsible for changing an object's angular velocity, and angular momentum is conserved in a closed system undergoing rotational motion.