How Do You Calculate Time in Horizontal Projectile Motion Without an Angle?

In summary, The conversation discusses a problem where the time needs to be calculated for a horizontal projection, but there is no given horizontal distance. The initial velocity for the x and y directions is not the same, but the angle is not given. The question provides a hint to use freefall and the fact that it is a horizontal projection with only an x component for the initial velocity. It is also noted that only the height of the tower is given.
J.live
3. The Attempt at a Solution [/b

I tried to use the

X= Vixt + 1/2axt^2 => 0= 1/2axt^2+ Vixt + X

To find the time since there isn't a horizontal distance given.

Then I realized the initial velocity for x and y direction can't be the same , but I don't have the angle.

Do i have to find the angle first?

If so, what do I use ?

Edit: I understand how to solve it now. Initial velocity in y direction is zero so I can solve for the time using the same equation above.

Here is the question

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-09-18 at 2.27.11 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-09-18 at 2.27.11 PM.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 428
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is a horizontal projection so the velocity at the beginning only has an x component. And only the height of the tower is given.
hint: freefall

Related to How Do You Calculate Time in Horizontal Projectile Motion Without an Angle?

What is one/two dimensional motion?

One/two dimensional motion refers to the movement of an object along a straight line (one-dimensional) or a plane (two-dimensional).

What is the difference between one and two dimensional motion?

The main difference between one and two dimensional motion is the number of dimensions in which the object is moving. One dimensional motion only considers movement along a straight line, while two dimensional motion takes into account movement along two axes, typically x and y.

What are some examples of one/two dimensional motion?

Examples of one dimensional motion include a ball rolling down a slope or a car moving along a straight road. Examples of two dimensional motion include a projectile launched at an angle or a bird flying in the sky.

What are the key equations used to describe one/two dimensional motion?

The key equations used to describe one dimensional motion include distance = velocity x time and average velocity = (final position - initial position) / time. For two dimensional motion, the key equations include displacement = velocity x time + 1/2 x acceleration x time^2 and average velocity = (final position - initial position) / time.

How do forces affect one/two dimensional motion?

Forces can change the speed and direction of an object's one or two dimensional motion. In one dimensional motion, forces can either increase or decrease the object's velocity, while in two dimensional motion, forces can cause the object to accelerate in a specific direction or change its direction of motion.