How Do You Calculate the Waist Radius and Location of a Gaussian Beam?

In summary, the conversation is about determining the waist radius of a Gaussian beam of wavelength λ = 10.6 μm, with known widths W1 = 1.699 mm and W2 = 3.38 mm at two points separated by a distance of d = 10 cm. The question is how to determine the waist radius, as it is not given and appears in all the equations tried so far. Additional information or clarification may be needed in order to generate a response.
danifire2
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/73840
This is the problem I don´t understand, I know I hace to determine the distance z1 which correspond to the widht W1, but I try to solve equation of W1 and W2 for z1 and use the fact z2 = z1 + 0.1m, but I, my question is how to determine the waist radius, because is not given and appear in all the equation I try to solve.

A Gaussian beam of wavelength λ = 10.6 μm (emitted by a CO2 laser) has widths W1 = 1.699 mm and W2 = 3.38 mm at two points separated by a distance d = 10 cm. Determine the possible locations of the waist and the waist radius.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Related to How Do You Calculate the Waist Radius and Location of a Gaussian Beam?

1. What is the Gaussian beam waist location?

The Gaussian beam waist location is the point along the beam where the diameter is the smallest. This point is often referred to as the "waist" of the beam.

2. How is the Gaussian beam waist location determined?

The Gaussian beam waist location can be determined by using mathematical equations that describe the shape of the beam. These equations take into account factors such as the beam's wavelength and the curvature of its wavefront.

3. Why is the Gaussian beam waist location important?

The Gaussian beam waist location is important because it affects the beam's focus and intensity. A smaller waist means a tighter focus and a higher intensity, which can be useful in applications such as laser cutting and welding.

4. Can the Gaussian beam waist location be changed?

Yes, the Gaussian beam waist location can be changed by altering the properties of the beam, such as its wavelength or the curvature of its wavefront. This can be done using various optical elements such as lenses or mirrors.

5. How does the Gaussian beam waist location affect beam divergence?

The Gaussian beam waist location plays a key role in determining the beam divergence. A smaller waist results in a lower divergence, meaning the beam will spread out less as it travels. This can be beneficial in applications where a tightly focused beam is needed over long distances.