How Do You Calculate the Total Force on a Block on an Inclined Plane?

In summary, the problem involves a block with a mass of 7.50 kg moving up an inclined plane at an acceleration of 4.35 m/s2. The coefficients of friction between the block and incline are given, as well as the angle of the incline. The question is asking for the horizontal force, which is found using the equation F=ma. The resulting answer is 35.99 N, which is significantly lower than the expected range of 80 N to 120 N. In order to find the correct force, all forces acting on the block, both parallel and perpendicular to the incline, must be considered.
wrexsoul
Newton's second law problem; Please Help!

Block M = 7.50 kg is initially moving up the incline and is increasing speed with
a = 4.35 m/s2. The applied force F is horizontal. The coefficients of friction
between the block and incline are fs = 0:443 and fk = 0:312. The angle of the incline is
25.0 degrees.
(a) What is the force F?

So basically, I started by tilting the axes. Then, I did F=ma. I plugged 7.5 kg into m and 4.35 into a. I got 32.6 N. Then, I took 32.6/cos(25) to get the horizontal component of force. My answer was 35.99 N. It says that my answer should be around 80 N to 120 N. What did I do wrong? Please Help.

Physics news on Phys.org

To apply Newton's 2nd law you must consider all the forces. What other forces act parallel to the incline?

Hint: You'll need to analyze both vertical and horizontal force components.

It seems like you have correctly applied Newton's second law, F=ma, to find the force F. However, it appears that you have only considered the horizontal component of the force, which is not the only force acting on the block. In this problem, there are two forces acting on the block: the applied force F and the force of friction between the block and the incline.

To find the total force acting on the block, you need to consider both the horizontal and vertical components. The vertical component of the force is due to the weight of the block, which can be calculated using the formula Fg=mg, where m is the mass of the block and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). In this case, the vertical force is acting in the opposite direction of the applied force F.

To determine the value of F, you can set up an equation of forces in the vertical direction. The total vertical force acting on the block is equal to the sum of the vertical components of the applied force and the force of friction. So the equation would look like this:

Fg - Fsin(25) - fsN = 0

Where N is the normal force, which is equal to the weight of the block in this case. Solving for F, you should get a value between 80 N and 120 N, as indicated in the problem.

In summary, to find the force F, you need to consider both the horizontal and vertical components of the forces acting on the block. It is important to take into account all the forces in a problem involving Newton's second law. I hope this helps.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Total Force on a Block on an Inclined Plane?

What is Newton's second law?

Newton's second law, also known as the law of acceleration, states that the force applied to an object is directly proportional to its mass and acceleration. In simpler terms, the heavier the object and the faster it is moving, the more force is required to accelerate it.

What is the formula for Newton's second law?

The formula for Newton's second law is F = ma, where F is the force applied to the object, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration of the object.

How is Newton's second law used in real life?

Newton's second law is used in many real-life situations, such as driving a car or riding a bike. In both cases, the force applied to the pedals or gas pedal determines the acceleration of the vehicle. It is also used in sports, such as throwing a ball or swinging a bat, where the force applied determines the speed and direction of the object.

What are some common problems involving Newton's second law?

Common problems involving Newton's second law include calculating the acceleration of an object when given the force and mass, determining the force needed to accelerate an object to a certain speed, and finding the mass of an object when given the force and acceleration. These types of problems are often seen in physics and engineering courses.

How does Newton's second law relate to the first and third laws of motion?

Newton's second law can be seen as a combination of the first and third laws of motion. The first law, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object will remain at rest or in motion unless acted upon by an external force. The second law explains how the object will accelerate when a force is applied. The third law, also known as the law of action and reaction, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that the force applied to an object will result in an equal force in the opposite direction.