How do you calculate the terminal velocity of these two balls?

Juanda said:
Since N points inwards I thought I should give it a negative sign.
You show N pointing inwards, which means that is the positive direction for N. If your equations give a negative value then the implication is that the normal force acts outwards. Clearly you should get a positive value, but your eqn 14 can't do that.
Juanda said:
what'd be that additional equation?
The effect of friction.

Physics news on Phys.org
I also think that you miss an important problem here. If you write Newton's second law in the radial direction, you get $$N+mg\sin\!\theta=\frac{mv^2}{R}\implies N=\frac{mv^2}{R}-mg\sin\!\theta.$$As you can see the magnitude of the normal force is a function of both the angle ##\theta## and the speed. An additional complication is that the speed always decreases because of friction which, of course, depends on ##N##. I don't see how ##v(\theta)## can be determined independently of ##N##.

I am still waiting for a full statement of the problem or a web link, but I am not holding my breath.

Likes MatinSAR
kuruman said:
I also think that you miss an important problem here. If you write Newton's second law in the radial direction, you get $$N+mg\sin\!\theta=\frac{mv^2}{R}\implies N=\frac{mv^2}{R}-mg\sin\!\theta.$$As you can see the magnitude of the normal force is a function of both the angle ##\theta## and the speed. An additional complication is that the speed always decreases because of friction which, of course, depends on ##N##. I don't see how ##v(\theta)## can be determined independently of ##N##.

I am still waiting for a full statement of the problem or a web link, but I am not holding my breath.
As noted in post #32, there is no gravity.

haruspex said:
I just spotted this in post #5:

So there is definitely no need to consider gravity.
I considered the "in space" equivalent to "no gravity" and that is why I tried to guide (oh so gently) the OP in that direction in post #7. However, in post #8 OP said explicitly that there is gravity. I still think that the exact statement of the problem (or an appropriate link) should be posted here before spending any more time on this.

Likes nasu
kuruman said:
I still think that the exact statement of the problem (or an appropriate link) should be posted here before spending any more time on this.
This happens too often. The OP does not bother to provide a full description and the thread goes all over the place.

Likes MatinSAR
nasu said:
This happens too often. The OP does not bother to provide a full description and the thread goes all over the place.
Yup.

Anyone still interested in this problem may consider a formulation with streamlined solution posted here.

• Love
Likes Juanda and berkeman
I take it easy as sketched.

2023-10-17 05.56.34.jpg

anuttarasammyak said:
I take it easy as sketched.

View attachment 333676
##N=mg~\sin\theta~## "as sketched" only if the mass is at rest at each point on the track. Otherwise, it is what is necessary to provide the observed acceleration.

Last edited:
Likes MatinSAR and erobz
kuruman said:
N=mg sin⁡θ "as sketched" only if the mass is at rest at each point on the track. Otherwise, it is what is necessary to provide the observed acceleration.
In order that we can neglect centrifugal force in N, the condition
[tex]g >>\frac{v^2}{R}[/tex]
should be necessary.

[EDIT] Now I perceived under this condition the ball cannot overcome the top where potential energy mgR < 1/2 mv_i^2 initial kinetic energy. So this is not the case we are looking for.

[EDIT2] I further recognize that the ball leaves the slope in my ball and bamp model. The ball just go straight up with initial velocity leaving the slope, stops and falls. How the ball is constrained on the designed trajectory ? Friction takes place between ball surface and WHAT ? I am afraid there is no generic answer to this problem but are specific answers according to these conditions given.

Last edited:
anuttarasammyak said:
In order that we can neglect centrifugal force in N, the condition
[tex]g >>\frac{v^2}{R}[/tex]
should be necessary.
So how would you write Newton's second law? If the mass is to follow the semicircular paths, its direction is changing continuously. If you ignore the centripetal (centrifugal if you prefer) force in N, then the direction of the velocity cannot change. Maybe I don't understand what you mean so please write Newton's second law for the part of the motion when the mass is where you show in your diagram.

Likes anuttarasammyak