How Do You Calculate the Tension in a String of a Suspended Charged Cork Ball?

In summary: Without doing so, it's hard to tell if you're just misunderstanding the problem or if you're not doing the problem correctly.
javacola

Homework Statement

A charged cork ball of mass m is suspended on a light string in the presence of a uniform electric field, as shown in the figure below. When E = (Ai + Bj) N/C, where A and B are positive numbers, the ball is in equilibrium at the angle ?.

b) Find the tension in the string. (Use any variable or symbol stated above along with the following as necessary: g for the acceleration due to gravity.)

Here's the picture btw: http://www.webassign.net/pse/p23-55.gif

Homework Equations

Not really sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I had the answer with (mg)/(-B/A)sin(theta)+cos(theta)...but webassign tells me it's wrong. This is my last problem, and I guess I'm just fried for the day, as it doesn't seem too hard. I have half an hour to submit the answer. Help would really be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
javacola said:

Homework Statement

A charged cork ball of mass m is suspended on a light string in the presence of a uniform electric field, as shown in the figure below. When E = (Ai + Bj) N/C, where A and B are positive numbers, the ball is in equilibrium at the angle ?.

b) Find the tension in the string. (Use any variable or symbol stated above along with the following as necessary: g for the acceleration due to gravity.)Here's the picture btw: http://www.webassign.net/pse/p23-55.gif

Homework Equations

Not really sure.

I thought I had the answer with (mg)/(-B/A)sin(theta)+cos(theta)...but webassign tells me it's wrong. This is my last problem, and I guess I'm just fried for the day, as it doesn't seem too hard. I have half an hour to submit the answer. Help would really be appreciated.
You're going to have to show some more work, I'm afraid. I have no idea where you got the "(mg)/(-B/A)sin(theta)+cos(theta)..."

That said, I don't think the answer should be a function of θ. I think the answer should be in terms of q, A, B, m, and g. Find the x and y components of T, then use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude. You can find the angle θ (if you need to -- it's not quite clear from the problem statement) by taking the ARCTAN of a relationship between x and y components (and be careful, here; θ is defined with respect to the y-axis, not the x-axis in this problem).

And yes, you will need a q in there somewhere.

Last edited:
I have half an hour to submit the answer. Help would really be appreciated.
Ah, guess it's too late now.
javacola said:

I thought I had the answer with (mg)/(-B/A)sin(theta)+cos(theta)...but webassign tells me it's wrong.
Just FYI, it probably would have been helpful to show how you arrived at that answer, in terms of getting other forum members to help out.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Tension in a String of a Suspended Charged Cork Ball?

1. What is a charged cork ball suspended?

A charged cork ball suspended is an experiment in which a cork ball is suspended from a string and becomes charged due to the transfer of electrons from a charged object.

2. How is a cork ball charged?

A cork ball can be charged by rubbing it against a charged object, such as a balloon or a piece of fur. This transfer of electrons creates a charge imbalance on the surface of the cork ball, causing it to become charged.

3. What is the purpose of a charged cork ball suspended experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to demonstrate the principles of electrostatics, specifically the transfer of charge through contact. It can also be used to show the attraction and repulsion of opposite and like charges.

4. Can any type of cork ball be used for this experiment?

Ideally, a lightweight cork ball with a smooth surface should be used for this experiment. This allows for better transfer of charge and reduces any external factors that may affect the results.

5. How does the height of the cork ball affect the experiment?

The height of the cork ball can affect the experiment as it changes the distance between the charged object and the cork ball. The closer the cork ball is to the charged object, the stronger the electric field and the greater the attraction or repulsion between them.