How Do You Calculate the Surface Area of x^2-y^2-z^2=0 with Given Constraints?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with calculating the surface area of x^2-y^2-z^2=0 under certain conditions. The individual has attempted a parametrization and integral, but is unsure how to handle the infinite surface. Another individual clarifies that the conditions eliminate the infinite direction and the other direction is manageable.
Telemachus
[Urgent] Surface area

Homework Statement

Hi there, sorry for the hurry, I had a big problem this weekend and I couldn't study. I have my exam tomorrow, and need help with this. I'm finishing with the topic, and I have almost studied all what I had to study, but this exercise resulted problematic.

This is it.

It asks me to calculate the area of the surface [tex]x^2-y^2-z^2=0[/tex] under the conditions [tex]x\geq{0},y\geq{0},z\geq{0},x\leq{1-z}[/tex]

So I've made the parametrization this way:
[tex]\begin{Bmatrix}x=u\\y=u \cos v \\z=u \sin v\end{matrix}[/tex]
And I've found: [tex]||T_u\times{T_v}||=\sqrt[ ]{2}u[/tex]

Then I made the parametrization for the plane:
[tex]\begin{Bmatrix}x=u\\y=v \\z=1-u\end{matrix}[/tex]

Then I made the integral for the surface, well, I've tried:
[tex]\displaystyle\int_{0}^{2\pi}\displaystyle\int_{0}^{1-u}\sqrt[ ]{2}u dudv[/tex]

I think that the surface is actually not bounded.

Actually, when I did the intersection I've found a parabola:
[tex]\sqrt[ ]{y^2+z^2}=1-z\longrightarrow{y^2+2z-1=0}[/tex]

Which I think makes sense, but the surface would be infinite, and I don't know what to do.

Any help will be thanked.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Telemachus! :smile:
Telemachus said:
Which I think makes sense, but the surface would be infinite, and I don't know what to do.

Yes, the original surface is a cone with generators at 45°, and the intersecting plane is also at 45°, so in one direction they meet "at infinity".

But the conditions x,y,z ≥ 0 eliminate that direction, and the other direction is ok. :wink:

Thank you tim.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Surface Area of x^2-y^2-z^2=0 with Given Constraints?

1. What is the equation for calculating surface area of x^2-y^2-z^2=0?

The equation for calculating surface area of x^2-y^2-z^2=0 is (4/3)πr^2, where r is the radius of the sphere.

2. What is the surface area of a sphere with the equation x^2-y^2-z^2=0?

The surface area of a sphere with the equation x^2-y^2-z^2=0 is (4/3)πr^2, where r is the radius of the sphere.

3. How do you solve the equation x^2-y^2-z^2=0 to find the surface area?

To solve the equation x^2-y^2-z^2=0 and find the surface area, you must first isolate the radius (r) by taking the square root of both sides. Then, plug in the value of r into the formula (4/3)πr^2 to calculate the surface area.

4. Can the equation x^2-y^2-z^2=0 be used to calculate the surface area of any shape?

No, the equation x^2-y^2-z^2=0 can only be used to calculate the surface area of a sphere. Different shapes have different equations for calculating surface area.

5. What are the units for the surface area calculated using the equation x^2-y^2-z^2=0?

The units for the surface area calculated using the equation x^2-y^2-z^2=0 are units squared, such as square inches, square meters, or square feet.