How Do You Calculate the Phase Constant φ from a Wave Displacement Graph?

• Thread starter jhans11
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phi
In summary, the figure shows the displacement y versus time t of a point on a string at x = 0 as a wave passes through, with a scale on the x axis set by ys = 18.0 mm. The wave has the form y(x, t) = ym sin (kx - ωt+φ), and the question is asking for the value of φ. The graph displays the displacement at t = 0 seconds as +6 mm, with ym as the amplitude. However, the time and omega values are still unknown.
jhans11
Warning! Posting template must be used for homework questions.
1. The figure shows the displacement y versus time t of the point on a string at x = 0, as a wave passes through that point. The scale of the x axis is set by ys = 18.0 mm.The wave has form y(x, t) = ym sin (kx - ωt+φ). What is φ?
http://edugen.wileyplus.com/edugen/courses/crs7165/art/qb/qu/c16/pict_16_62.gif
2. y(x, t) = ym sin (- ωt+φ)3. reading off my graph, it crosses the Y axis at 6mm, i used that as my Y(x,t) and 18 as my Ym, but i have no idea how to get the time or omega

Physics news on Phys.org
Your graph did not display.

Spinnor said:
Your graph did not display.
http://imgur.com/svRs4Uq

At t = 0 seconds the displacement is +6 mm and you have ym.

I would first suggest checking the given equation for any errors or missing information. The equation should include a value for the wave number (k) and the angular frequency (ω). Without these values, it is not possible to accurately determine the phase constant (φ).

If the equation is correct and complete, then the best way to determine φ would be to use the given information about the displacement and the scale of the x axis. From the graph, it appears that the displacement at x = 0 is 6mm, and the maximum displacement (Ym) is 18mm. Using these values, we can rearrange the equation to solve for φ as follows:

φ = -arcsin(6/18) = -30°

However, it is important to note that this calculation assumes that the wave is a simple sinusoidal wave and does not take into account any complex or non-linear behavior. It would be best to confirm this result by comparing it to other points on the graph or by using a more accurate measurement method. Additionally, if the wave is more complex, it may be necessary to use a more advanced mathematical approach to accurately determine the phase constant.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Phase Constant φ from a Wave Displacement Graph?

1. What is phi and why is it important to calculate?

Phi, also known as the golden ratio, is a mathematical constant approximately equal to 1.618. It is found in many natural and man-made objects, and is considered aesthetically pleasing. It is important to calculate phi because it has many applications in various fields such as mathematics, art, and design.

2. How is phi calculated?

Phi can be calculated using various methods, but the most common one is the ratio of two consecutive numbers in the Fibonacci sequence. To find phi, divide a number in the sequence by its previous number. As the numbers get larger, the ratio approaches phi.

3. What are some real-world examples of phi?

Phi can be found in many natural and man-made objects, including seashells, flowers, human faces, and architecture. For example, the spiral shape of a seashell follows the golden ratio, and the Parthenon in Greece is said to have been designed using phi.

4. How is phi used in science and technology?

Phi has many applications in science and technology. In mathematics, it is used in geometry, algebra, and number theory. In biology, it is found in the growth patterns of plants and animals. In technology, it is used in computer graphics, image processing, and data compression.

5. What are the limitations of using phi?

While phi has many interesting properties and applications, it also has its limitations. For example, it is an irrational number, which means it cannot be expressed as a fraction and has an infinite number of decimal places. This makes it difficult to use in certain calculations and may introduce errors. Additionally, phi is not a universal constant and may not always be present in natural or man-made objects.