How Do You Calculate the Normalization Constant for Radial Wave Functions?

In summary: You'll need to do it four times in fact.In summary, the process of normalizing radial waves is the same as for any wavefunction. The extra r^2 comes from the volume element for spherical-polar coordinates and the numerical values are obtained from the definite integral with limits of integration from 0 to infinity. To evaluate the integral, the "by parts" trick can be used multiple times.
Khaleesi
Hi, so I'm having a bit of trouble understanding the normalization of radial waves. I understand that the equation is the integral of ((R^2)r^2)=1 but I'm not understanding how the process works. I need the normalization constant on R32. I got the function to come out to be (((r^2)(Co)(e^(-r/3a))/(27a^3)) so I can take that and plug it into the normalization equation (with r/a=z) to get ((Co)/(27a^3)^2) (a^4) integral of (z^2)(e^(-z))(z^2)dz then I combined both the z^2's so it's now the stuff out front integral of ((z^4)(e^(-z))dz and this is where I'm stuck. From what I keep seeing is that people are getting actual numerical values and I don't understand how that part works. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The process is the same as when you normalize any wavefunction - the extra r^2 comes from the volume element for spherical-polar coordinates.
You get the numerical values because it is a definite integral. What are the limits of the integration?

Simon Bridge said:
The process is the same as when you normalize any wavefunction - the extra r^2 comes from the volume element for spherical-polar coordinates.
You get the numerical values because it is a definite integral. What are the limits of the integration?
Well the initial equation states that it's from 0 to infinity. That's were I don't see an actual value coming into place. Unless the bounds somehow change?

Lets makes sure I follow you - you are trying to evaluate $$\int_0^\infty z^4e^{-z}\;dz$$ ... with a bunch of constant terms out the front?
If so - then what do you get for the indefinite integral?

Likes Khaleesi
Simon Bridge said:
Lets makes sure I follow you - you are trying to evaluate $$\int_0^\infty z^4e^{-z}\;dz$$ ... with a bunch of constant terms out the front?
If so - then what do you get for the indefinite integral?
Yes. And I just plugged it in on mathematica and got an answer of 24. I was trying to do it by hand because I hate taking the easy way out, but thanks so much for responding!

There is a particular trick for solving integrals of this type. Try computing
$$
\int_0^\infty e^{-st} dt
$$
and then differentiate wrt ##s## a few times.

Likes dextercioby
I was trying to do it by hand because I hate taking the easy way out.
... hint: integration by parts.
You need to do the "by parts" trick more than once.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Normalization Constant for Radial Wave Functions?

What is the concept of normalizing a wave function?

The concept of normalizing a wave function is to ensure that the total probability of finding a particle in a given space is equal to 1. This is achieved by scaling the wave function so that the integral of its square over all space is equal to 1.

Why is it necessary to normalize a wave function?

Normalizing a wave function is necessary because it ensures that the probability of finding a particle in a certain space is accurate and consistent. If a wave function is not normalized, it could lead to incorrect predictions and results in quantum mechanics.

How is a wave function normalized?

A wave function is normalized by dividing it by a normalization constant, which is the square root of the integral of the wave function squared over all space. This ensures that the integral of the square of the wave function is equal to 1.

What happens if a wave function is not normalized?

If a wave function is not normalized, the total probability of finding a particle in a given space will not be equal to 1. This can lead to incorrect predictions and results in quantum mechanics, as well as violate the principles of probability theory.

Can all wave functions be normalized?

Not all wave functions can be normalized. For example, if a wave function is infinite over all space, it cannot be normalized. Additionally, some wave functions that describe non-physical scenarios may not be able to be normalized. However, in most cases, it is possible to normalize a wave function by using mathematical techniques such as integration.