How Do You Calculate the Momentum of a Recoiling Nucleus in a Decay Process?

In summary: But the second part you are approaching backwards. If R = the resultant of the given vectors,R * cos 30.1 = 9.8 x 10^-23
crimsonn
Momentum Conservation Problem? Help please!

A radioactive nucleus at rest decays into a second nucleus, an electron, and a neutrino. The electron and neutrino are emitted at right angles and have momenta of 9.30 X 10^ -23 and 5.40 X 10^ -23 kg * m/s, respectively. What is the magnitude and direction of momentum of the second (recoiling) nucleus?

Here is my attempt at a solution:
Mn -- mass of first nucleus Mn' -- mass of second nucleus
Vn -- velocity of first nucleus. Vn' -- velocity of second nucleus

Me & Ve -- electron Mne & Vne --neutrino

MnVn = Mn'Vn' + MeVe + MneVne

MnVn = 0 (because it is at rest)

so

Mn'Vn' = -MeVe - MneVne

which, when you break it down into it's components

Mn'Vn' = -MeVe (sin 90) - MneVne (sin 90)

I know that might be a mouthful. Is it even correct? I have no idea how to do this problem with the mass of the nucleus...

answer is 1.08 X 10 ^-22, 30.1 degrees from the direction opposite to the electron's

Physics news on Phys.org

crimsonn said:
A radioactive nucleus at rest decays into a second nucleus, an electron, and a neutrino. The electron and neutrino are emitted at right angles and have momenta of 9.30 X 10^ -23 and 5.40 X 10^ -23 kg * m/s, respectively. What is the magnitude and direction of momentum of the second (recoiling) nucleus?

Here is my attempt at a solution:
Mn -- mass of first nucleus Mn' -- mass of second nucleus
Vn -- velocity of first nucleus. Vn' -- velocity of second nucleus

Me & Ve -- electron Mne & Vne --neutrino

MnVn = Mn'Vn' + MeVe + MneVne

MnVn = 0 (because it is at rest)

so

Mn'Vn' = -MeVe - MneVne

which, when you break it down into it's components

I know that might be a mouthful. Is it even correct? I have no idea how to do this problem with the mass of the nucleus...

answer is 1.08 X 10 ^-22, 30.1 degrees from the direction opposite to the electron's

Have you drawn a diagram? Plot the given information on a basic x,y graph and it might become a lot more clear for you.

I think you have the right basic idea, but pay attention to the angles - given a 90º angle between the vectors, you don't really need to use trigonometry functions (sin 90 = 1, cos 90 = 0).

You do not need the specific mass of the nucleus - you are given units of kg*m/s and are asked for the answer in the same units. You would only need the mass if you wanted to break down the momentum into mass and velocity.

I have drawn a diagram. But...what really gets to me is that this is supposed to be a collision problem, yet I don't understand quite how it actually IS one.

Could my equations work though? I'll still confused about the mass of the nucleus?

I mean...i've tried them over and over again. If my equations ARE correct, I have no idea what I'm doing wrong

crimsonn said:
I have drawn a diagram. But...what really gets to me is that this is supposed to be a collision problem, yet I don't understand quite how it actually IS one.

Could my equations work though? I'll still confused about the mass of the nucleus?

I mean...i've tried them over and over again. If my equations ARE correct, I have no idea what I'm doing wrong

This equation:

is close, but the angle of 90 is only accurate for one of the momenta.

Be careful not to make this problem more complicated than it is. Individual masses and velocities of each component are not what is given and are not what is being asked. Stick to momentum only.

When you look at your diagram, note that you should have two vectors. If you add the vectors, you will get the resultant. What you are looking for is the equal and opposite reaction to the resultant. Make sense?

okay! I think I've got I just figured out the angle:

arctan = 5.40 X 10^ -23 / 9.0 X 10 ^ -23 = 30.1 degrees! (does happy dance)

but then,

sqrt((9.8 X 10^ -23 X cos 30.1)^2 + (5.4 X 10^-23 X sin 30.1)^2)

= 3.6 X 10^-12

hmmm...

Last edited:

crimsonn said:
okay! I think I've got I just figured out the angle:

arctan = 5.40 X 10^ -23 / 9.0 X 10 ^ -23 = 30.1 degrees! (does happy dance)

but then,

sqrt((9.8 X 10^ -23 X cos 30.1)^2 + (5.4 X 10^-23 X sin 30.1)^2)

= 1.36 X 10^-23

thats off from 1.08 X 10 ^-22

hmmm...

First part is exactly right (but you knew that :smile: )

But the second part you are approaching backwards.

If R = the resultant of the given vectors,

R * cos 30.1 = 9.8 x 10^-23

Stovebolt said:
First part is exactly right (but you knew that :smile: )

But the second part you are approaching backwards.

If R = the resultant of the given vectors,

R * cos 30.1 = 9.8 x 10^-23

{i was actually a lot more off in my answer from doing it backwards (i forgot the sqrt) }

Wow. Thanks, that actually made a lot of sense.
I get the correct answer! thank you again. I really appreciate it!

Related to How Do You Calculate the Momentum of a Recoiling Nucleus in a Decay Process?

1. What is momentum conservation?

Momentum conservation is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant, regardless of any internal or external forces acting on it.

2. How is momentum conserved in a collision?

In a collision, the total momentum of the objects before and after the collision must be equal. This means that the sum of the momenta of the objects before the collision is equal to the sum of their momenta after the collision.

3. Is momentum conserved in all types of collisions?

Yes, momentum is conserved in all types of collisions, including elastic and inelastic collisions. In elastic collisions, the objects bounce off each other and retain their original shapes, while in inelastic collisions, the objects stick together and deform upon impact.

4. How can momentum conservation be used to solve problems?

Momentum conservation can be used to solve problems by applying the law of conservation of momentum to equations involving the momenta of the objects before and after the collision. This can help determine unknown velocities or masses of the objects involved in the collision.

5. Are there any exceptions to the law of momentum conservation?

The law of momentum conservation only applies to closed systems, meaning that there are no external forces acting on the system. If there are external forces, such as friction, then momentum may not be conserved. Additionally, in some cases, the law may not apply at the quantum level.