How Do You Calculate the Moment of Inertia for a Pulley?

In summary, the problem involves a block tied to a string and a pulley. The mass and radius of the pulley are given, and the block is released from rest. The final velocity of the block and the distance it falls are also given. The moment of inertia for the pulley is to be determined. After attempting to equate the kinetic energy of the block with the kinetic energy of the pulley, it was realized that conservation of total mechanical energy should be used instead. By isolating the pulley and the block and using free-body diagrams, the net torque and force equations were set up. By solving for the torque and substituting it into the torque equation, the moment of inertia was calculated to be 5.99
Lotus93

Homework Statement

A 1.3 kg block is tied to a string that is wrapped around the rim of a pulley of radius 7.2cm. The mass of the pulley is 0.31kg. The block is released from rest. If the velocity of the block is 3.0m/s after it falls 0.5m, what is the moment of inertia for the pulley?[/b]

Homework Equations

I = (1/2mv^2)/(angular velocity)^2
angular velocity = v/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I= [(1/2)(1.3)(3.0)^2]/[(3.0/7.2)^2]
I= 3.8025/0.1736
I= 21.90

I know this answer doesn't make sense, but I'm not sure what I'm missing. This was a test question I got wrong, so I'm not concerned about the answer, I just want to make sure I understand how to go about solving it to prepare for my final. Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you were attempting to equate the KE of the falling mass with the KE of the pulley. No obvious reason to think that is true.

Instead, use conservation of total mechanical energy. Total mechanical energy = rotational KE of pulley + translational KE of falling mass + gravitational PE.

Welcome to PF;
What makes you think the answer makes no sense?

Did you try isolating the pulley and the mass and using free-body diagrams?
(Or cons. of energy...)

I spoke with one of my classmates, and this is what we worked out...

v^2 = vo^2 + 2ay
3^2 = 2(a)(0.5)
a = 9m/s

Net Torque = I * alpha
a = alpha * r
Trsin90 = I (a/r)
T(0,072)= I (9/0.072)

F = ma
T - mg = -ma
T = mg - ma
T = 1.3(9.8) - 1.3(9)
T = 1.04
(1.04)(0,072)= I (9/0.072)
0.07488 = 125I

I = 5.99e-4 kg m^2

Can anyone verify, or if we made an error point out where we went wrong?

Looks good to me. (Just for fun, try solving it using conservation of energy.)

So... did you figure out what you were missing?

Related to How Do You Calculate the Moment of Inertia for a Pulley?

What is the moment of inertia of a pulley?

The moment of inertia of a pulley is a measure of its resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is a property of the pulley that depends on its mass distribution and shape.

How is the moment of inertia of a pulley calculated?

The moment of inertia of a pulley can be calculated by using the formula I = mr², where m is the mass of the pulley and r is the radius of the pulley.

Why is the moment of inertia of a pulley important?

The moment of inertia of a pulley is important because it affects the speed and acceleration of the object attached to the pulley. It also plays a role in determining the amount of torque needed to rotate the pulley.

Can the moment of inertia of a pulley be changed?

Yes, the moment of inertia of a pulley can be changed by altering its mass distribution or shape. For example, increasing the mass of the pulley or increasing its radius will increase its moment of inertia.

How does the moment of inertia of a pulley affect its rotational motion?

The moment of inertia of a pulley affects its rotational motion by determining how much rotational inertia the pulley has. A higher moment of inertia means it will require more torque to rotate the pulley, resulting in slower acceleration and a longer time to reach a certain rotational speed.