How Do You Calculate the Minimum Deceleration to Prevent a Train Collision?

In summary, the problem involves a passenger train and a freight train moving on the same set of tracks. The freight train is traveling at a constant speed of 27.0 m/s while the passenger train is initially moving at 32.0 m/s. The engineer of the passenger train applies the brakes when the separation between the two trains is 425.0 meters. The passenger train then experiences a constant acceleration in the opposite direction of its velocity. To avoid collision, the minimum value of the passenger train's acceleration must be determined. The solution also involves calculating the distance traveled, minimum separation between the trains, and the time it takes for the passenger train to stop. Finally, a position-time diagram of both trains from the initial spotting of
dfnj123
Kinematics Train Crash Question

Homework Statement

A passenger train is behind a freight train, both on the same set of tracks and moving in the same direction. The freight train is moving at a constant speed of 27. 0 m/s and maintains that speed. The passenger train is originally moving at 32. 0 m/s when the engineer of the passenger train spots the freight train and applies the brakes. At the time the brakes are ap- plied, the separation between the trains is 425. 0 meters, and the application of the brakes causes the passenger train to have a constant acceleration in the direction opposite to the train’s velocity.

A) If there is to be no collision, what must the minimum value of the magnitude of the ac- celeration of the passenger train?

B) Assuming this minimum value, how far will the passenger train travel before it stops, and what will be the minimum separation between the trains? How much time will it take the passenger train to stop?

C) Draw a single position-time diagram showing both trains from the initial spotting of the freight train to the stopping of the passenger train. This should be a carefully drawn graph with appropriate labels and scales.​

Homework Equations

d=27t+425
d=32t+(1/2)at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been focusing mostly on Part A so far. I used the equations I posted above to try to substitute a and t for each other. I got t=14.4 and a=-.347. When I plug "a" back into the equation I noticed that the two functions are no where near touching each other. Not sure where to really go from here. I'm pretty sure I can solve the rest of the problem if I understood how to find the correct acceleration value.

Thanks ahead of time for the responses.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
To avoid collision, the passenger train does not need to stop when it reaches the freight train. It is enough if it slows down to its speed, 27.0 m/s. The relation among acceleration, time and change of velocity is the third equation you need for the solution.

ehild

Related to How Do You Calculate the Minimum Deceleration to Prevent a Train Collision?

What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the causes of the motion.

What is a train question in kinematics?

A train question in kinematics refers to a problem that involves analyzing the motion of a train, usually in terms of distance, time, and speed.

How do you solve a kinematics train question?

To solve a kinematics train question, you will need to use equations of motion, such as distance = speed x time, and apply them to the specific scenario given in the question.

What are the key variables in a kinematics train question?

The key variables in a kinematics train question are distance, time, and speed. These variables are interrelated and can be used to calculate each other using the appropriate equations of motion.

What are some real-life applications of kinematics train questions?

Kinematics train questions have many real-life applications, such as calculating the travel time and speed of a train, determining the braking distance of a train, and analyzing the motion of a train along a curved track.