How Do You Calculate the Length of TP in a Common Tangents Problem?

• Thread starter guan721
  • Start date
What is the relationship of that angle to ∠PTB?In summary, the diagram shows two circles with a common tangent at T, where the radius of the smaller circle is 5 cm and BT=BP. ACBP is a tangent to the circle with centre O. The task is to find the length of TP. The correct answer is 17.15 cm, but the attempted answer was 15.70 cm. However, the method used to find the answer is unclear and the angles and segments are not clearly identified. It is mentioned that the angle formed by the tangent and the chord is equal to the angle in the alternate segment subtended by the chord, but it is not clear which angles and segments are being referred to.
guan721
Member warned that the homework template must be used
The diagram shows two circles with a common tangent at T. The radius of the smaller circle is 5 cm and BT=BP. ACBP is a tangent to the circle with centre O. Calculate
(a) The length of TP

My attempt
- I tried to solve the question by finding complimentary angle of angle X, which is 90 degree - 32.5 degree(angle X) = 57.5 degree, and by using Trigonometry to calculate half the length of TP, Tan 57.5 degree multiply 5 cm, = 7.85 cm , and then multiply by 2, 7.85 cm x 2, the answer from me is 15.70 cm, but the correct answer is 17.15 cm.

Thanks a lot.

Attachments

• 22375216_1503208619771659_1550217364_o.jpg
    22375216_1503208619771659_1550217364_o.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 435
Physics news on Phys.org
Your diagram is small and rather pockmarked. What does the 65° marking refer to? It would also help if you showed the process by which you calculated x.

guan721 said:
The diagram shows two circles with a common tangent at T. The radius of the smaller circle is 5 cm and BT=BP. ACBP is a tangent to the circle with centre O. Calculate
(a) The length of TP

My attempt
- I tried to solve the question by finding complimentary angle of angle X, which is 90 degree - 32.5 degree(angle X) = 57.5 degree, and by using Trigonometry to calculate half the length of TP, Tan 57.5 degree multiply 5 cm, = 7.85 cm , and then multiply by 2, 7.85 cm x 2, the answer from me is 15.70 cm, but the correct answer is 17.15 cm.
Where did 32.5° come from? Obviously, that's half of 65°, but it appears from your picture that the angle made by segment AT and the left edge of the horizontal line is 65°. Are you assuming that angle ATB is a right angle? This wouldn't be true unless point C happens to be the center of the larger circle.

Mark44 said:
Where did 32.5° come from? Obviously, that's half of 65°, but it appears from your picture that the angle made by segment AT and the left edge of the horizontal line is 65°. Are you assuming that angle ATB is a right angle? This wouldn't be true unless point C happens to be the center of the larger circle.

I calculate value x by following steps:
1) From the principle of circle, the angle formed by the tangent and the chord is equal to the angle in the alternate segment which is subtended by the chord
2) Angle formed by Tangent TP, and the Chord TB, is 65 degree, equal to the angle in the alternate segment, subtended by Chord TB, which is angle CBT
3) Thus angle CBT is 65 degree
4) Since line ACBP is a straight line, angle TBP consider as complimentary angle of angle CBT, equal to 180 degree - 65 degree = 115 degree
5) Since line TB and line PB are equal in length, we consider triangle TBP is Isosceles triangle
6) Angle x = (180 degree - 115 degree) divide by 2 = 32.5 degree

guan721 said:
I calculate value x by following steps:
1) From the principle of circle, the angle formed by the tangent and the chord is equal to the angle in the alternate segment which is subtended by the chord
This might be right, but I'm not following what you're saying. Rather than describing the angles and segments in words, describe them using the given points; for example, as chord BT or ∠ABT.
What "principle of circle" are you talking about?
"the angle formed by the tangent and the chord" -- ∠PTB, right?
" the angle in the alternate segment which is subtended by the chord" -- you need to identify this better. I don't know which segment you mean by "alternate segment". Please identify the segments using the points identified in the image.
Are you talking about angle y?

Related to How Do You Calculate the Length of TP in a Common Tangents Problem?

1. What is a common tangents problem?

A common tangents problem is a type of geometry problem that involves finding the points of intersection between two circles and the lines that are tangent to both circles at those points.

2. How do I identify common tangents in a problem?

In a common tangents problem, the circles will typically be labeled with different radii and centers, and you will need to find the points of intersection between the two circles. The common tangents will be the lines that are tangent to both circles at these points.

3. What is the formula for finding common tangents?

The formula for finding common tangents involves using the radii and centers of the two circles to calculate the distance between them. This distance can then be used to find the length of the common tangents using the Pythagorean theorem.

4. How many common tangents are there between two circles?

There can be up to four common tangents between two circles, depending on the relative sizes and positions of the circles. If the two circles are the same size and intersect, there will be three common tangents.

5. What are some common strategies for solving common tangents problems?

Some common strategies for solving common tangents problems include using the formula for finding common tangents, drawing a diagram to visualize the problem, and using the properties of tangents and circles to identify relationships and solve for unknown variables.