How Do You Calculate the Intersection of a Line and an Ellipse?

In summary, to find the intersection of a line and an ellipse centered at (0,0), you need to expand the ellipse equation using the slope and then plug it back into the original equation. This will give you a quadratic equation which you can solve using the quadratic formula to find the values of A, B, and C. It is important to also consider the conditions of the line being tangent to the ellipse and the coordinates of the tangent point for future problems.
eyanveom
Compute the intersection of a line and an ellipse centered at (0,0). Ellipse equation is b²x² + a²y² = a²b²
where b is the minor axis and a is the major axis.

I am having trouble finding A, B, and C- somewhere down the line, I know the Quadratic Eq. is used to find x. I also know AX² + BX + C = 0 is used. I've combined the slope (y = mx + c) into the ellipse equation ==> b²x² + a² (mx+c)² = a² b². I then distributed the a², yielding b²x² + (a²mx + a²c)² = a²b². Here is where I'm stuck. I know that ultimately I am trying to find A, B, and C.

A= (a²mx + a²c)²??
B= ??
C= b²x² - a²b²?? I am SO lost and confused! lol

Physics news on Phys.org
You can expand the (a2mx+a2c)2 and then combine like (x) terms. This will get you the quadratic form you are looking for

OK, so now I have 2a^4mx² + 2a^4mxc + 2a^4c². This doesn't seem to allow me to combine anything.

1. I would preface my answer with "assuming this means the intersection of an arbitrary line with this ellipse". Because it seems to me easy to read the question as asking about the line through the origin - an easier problem.

2. I am sure I make more mistakes than Office Shredder but I think he has made one there and you have carried it forward.

3. However I do see no alternative to expanding that square term as he says and slogging out the resulting quadratic. Try to simplify or take out factors as much as possible at every stage. It is just a matter of being careful but a routine with nothing that should be new to you.

4. After that I advise take a leaf from the book of Polya 'How to Solve It.' He says, when you have solved your problem it's not finished. Try and answer whilst you are warm what is the condition of the line to be tangent to the ellipse? When does it cut the ellipse at all and when not? What are the co-ordinates of the tangent point? The equation of the tangent line? its slope? Keep notes maybe. Because these questions will sure come up in future lessons or exercises maybe soon, and you will have put yourself in a better and more confident position when it does, apart from starting a useful habit for always.

Last edited:
epenguin said:
2. I am sure I make more mistakes than Office Shredder but I think he has made one there and you have carried it forward.

In my defense I just copy/pasted from his post! :-p

But yeah, looking closer you didn't distribute the a2 correctly. Once you've expanded the quadratic, you need to plug it back into your equation and solve for x

Related to How Do You Calculate the Intersection of a Line and an Ellipse?

1. What is the equation for the intersection of a line and an ellipse?

The equation for the intersection of a line and an ellipse is determined by setting the equations of the line and ellipse equal to each other. This creates a system of equations that can be solved to find the coordinates of the intersection points.

2. How many intersection points can a line and an ellipse have?

A line and an ellipse can have a maximum of two intersection points. However, it is also possible for the line to not intersect with the ellipse at all.

3. Can a line intersect an ellipse at only one point?

No, a line cannot intersect an ellipse at only one point. If a line intersects an ellipse, it will always intersect at two points.

4. What is the significance of the intersection of a line and an ellipse?

The intersection of a line and an ellipse can provide information about the relationship between the line and the ellipse. It can also be used to find the coordinates of points on the ellipse that lie on the line.

5. Are there any special cases when finding the intersection of a line and an ellipse?

Yes, there are two special cases when finding the intersection of a line and an ellipse. The first is when the line is tangent to the ellipse, meaning it intersects at only one point. The second is when the line is coincident with the ellipse, meaning it intersects at every point on the ellipse.