How Do You Calculate the Fraction of Ethylene in a Copolymer?

In summary, The question is asking for the fraction of ethylene in a crosslinked copolymer consisting of 62 wt% ethylene and 38 wt% propylene, which may have similar elastic properties to natural rubber. The answer is expressed with three decimal points and is calculated by finding the weight of ethylene (28.052) and propylene (42.078), multiplying them by their respective percentages, and then dividing the weight of ethylene by the sum of both weights. The resulting fraction is 0.522.
][nstigator
Heres a question I am stuck with

Crosslinked polymers consisting of 62 wt% ethylene and 38 wt% propylene may have elastic properties similar those for natural rubber. For a copolymer of this composition, determine the fraction of the ethylene mer.

Express your answer with three decimal points.

I honestly am lost with how to do this question...

What I did was...

Found the weight of ethylene (28.052) and the weight of propylene (42.078)...then multipled by the percentages and got...

28.052*0.62 = 17.39
42.078*0.38 = 15.98

then..

fraction = 17.39/(15.98+17.39)

I doubt this is right...any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry I think I posted this in the wrong section.

My apologies

I understand your confusion with this question. It can be tricky to determine the fraction of a specific component in a mixture based on weight percentages. However, your approach is correct. You have correctly calculated the weight of ethylene and propylene in the mixture and then divided the weight of ethylene by the total weight of the two components. This will give you the fraction of ethylene mer in the copolymer.

To express your answer with three decimal points, you can simply round your answer to the third decimal place. In this case, your final answer would be 0.521.

I hope this helps clarify the question for you. Keep up the good work in your studies of materials and chemistry!

Related to How Do You Calculate the Fraction of Ethylene in a Copolymer?

1. What is weight percent (wt%)?

Weight percent (wt%) is a unit of concentration used in chemistry and materials science to express the amount of a particular substance in a mixture by weight. It is calculated by dividing the mass of the substance by the total mass of the mixture and multiplying by 100.

2. How is weight percent different from other concentration units like molarity or molality?

Weight percent is a measure of the amount of a substance in a mixture by weight, while molarity and molality are measures of the amount of a substance in a solution by volume and mass, respectively. Weight percent can be used for both solutions and mixtures, while molarity and molality are only applicable to solutions.

3. How do I calculate weight percent?

To calculate weight percent, you need to know the mass of the substance you are interested in and the total mass of the mixture. Then, divide the mass of the substance by the total mass of the mixture and multiply by 100. The resulting value is the weight percent of the substance in the mixture.

4. What is the significance of weight percent in materials science?

Weight percent is an important parameter in materials science as it helps in characterizing and quantifying the composition of a material. It is commonly used in quality control and manufacturing processes to ensure the desired amount of a substance is present in a material.

5. Can weight percent be greater than 100%?

No, weight percent cannot exceed 100%. This is because weight percent is calculated by dividing the mass of the substance by the total mass of the mixture and multiplying by 100. Therefore, the maximum value for weight percent is 100%.