How Do You Calculate the Density of a Random Vector with Given Conditions?

In summary: This is the same as the density for U, since U/V=v is uniformly distributed over the interval ]0,3v[.
Krizalid1
I'm pretty rusted with this stuff. How about a hand?

Let \(\displaystyle (U,V)\) be a random vector such that \(\displaystyle f_V(u)=\dfrac{3}{v^3}I_{[3,\infty)}(v)\) and \(\displaystyle U/V=v\) has uniform distribution over the interval \(\displaystyle ]0,3v[.\) Find:

a) A density for the random vector \(\displaystyle (U,V)\).

b) A density for the random variable \(\displaystyle U.\)

c) A density for \(\displaystyle V/U=u.\)

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
a) The density of the random vector (U,V) is given by the product of the densities of U and V, f_U(u) and f_V(v), respectively. Since U/V=v is uniformly distributed over the interval ]0,3v[, we have that f_U(u) = 3/(3v^2) for 0 < v < 3 and 0 otherwise. Thus, the density for (U,V) is f_U(u)f_V(v) = (3/(3v^2)) * (3/v^3)I_{[3,\infty)}(v) = 1/v^5 I_{[3,\infty)}(v).b) The density of the random variable U is given by integrating the density of the random vector (U,V) over all possible values of V: f_U(u) = \int_{3}^{\infty} 1/v^5 dv = -1/v^4\big|_{3}^{\infty} = -1/3^4.c) The density of V/U=u is given by the change of variables formula: f_{V/U}(u) = f_V(v) * |\frac{\partial u}{\partial v}| = f_V(v) * |\frac{1}{u}| = \frac{3}{u^4}I_{[3,\infty)}(v).

Related to How Do You Calculate the Density of a Random Vector with Given Conditions?

1. What is a random vector?

A random vector is a mathematical concept that involves a set of random variables that are grouped together. It represents a collection of quantities that are randomly selected from a larger set of possible values.

2. What is a density function for a random vector?

A density function for a random vector is a mathematical tool used to describe the probability distribution of a random vector. It assigns a probability value to each possible outcome of the random vector, allowing for the calculation of the likelihood of a specific outcome occurring.

3. How is a random vector different from a regular vector?

A random vector is different from a regular vector in that its components are random variables rather than fixed values. This means that the values of a random vector can vary each time it is measured, while the values of a regular vector remain constant.

4. What is the purpose of studying random vectors and density?

The study of random vectors and density has many applications in fields such as statistics, probability, and data analysis. It allows for the analysis of complex systems and the prediction of future outcomes based on probabilistic models.

5. What are some examples of random vectors in real life?

Random vectors can be found in many areas of everyday life. For example, stock prices can be modeled as a random vector, with each day's price being a random variable. Weather patterns can also be modeled as a random vector, with each day's temperature, precipitation, and other factors being random variables.