How Do You Calculate the Cost of Running a Steam Iron?

• Thread starter peaceandlove
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Unit
In summary, the steam iron produces 2755152 J of internal energy in 76 minutes. To run the steam iron for 76 minutes at a cost of $0.75/kW*hr, it would cost 57 cents.
peaceandlove

Homework Statement

A steam iron draws 5.3 A from a 114 V line. (a) How much internal energy is produced in 76 minutes? Answer in J. (b) How much does it cost at $0.75/kW*hr to run the steam iron for 76 minutes? Answer in units of cents.

Homework Equations

1) U = VIt

The Attempt at a Solution

Using equation 1, I found the internal energy produced to be 2755152 J. However, I'm having a problem with figuring out part (b). I know I'm supposed to convert J to kW*hr in order to figure out the cost and that 1 watt = 1 J/s. Using that information I divided the internal energy by the time, 4560 seconds, giving me 604.2 watts or 0.6042 kW. I then times that by the cost per kW/hr and the amount of time in hours. I got 0.57399, but for some reason it's not the right answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
2755152 J =2755152 Ws

Divide by 1000 to get it in kWs, then divide by 3600s to get it in kW*hr

peaceandlove said:
Answer in units of cents.
... I got 0.57399, but for some reason it's not the right answer.

Maybe enter it in cents?

rock.freak667 said:
2755152 J =2755152 Ws

Divide by 1000 to get it in kWs, then divide by 3600s to get it in kW*hr

I tried that and I get the same exact answer that I got. I even tried putting it in as 0.57 but that was marked wrong as well...

peaceandlove said:
I tried that and I get the same exact answer that I got. I even tried putting it in as 0.57 but that was marked wrong as well...

Your answer is $0.57399, convert that into cents.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Cost of Running a Steam Iron?

1. What are unit conversions and why are they important in science?

Unit conversions are mathematical calculations used to convert a quantity expressed in one unit of measurement to another unit. They are important in science because they allow scientists to express data in different units, compare measurements, and make accurate calculations.

2. How do I know which units to convert?

When performing unit conversions, it is important to understand the units being used and what they represent. For example, if you are converting from meters to feet, you need to know that meters represent length and feet represent length as well. Understanding the units and what they measure will help you determine which units to convert.

3. What are some common unit conversions used in science?

Some common unit conversions used in science include length (meters to feet), mass (grams to ounces), volume (liters to gallons), temperature (Celsius to Fahrenheit), and time (seconds to minutes). It is important to remember that the conversion factor, or the ratio between the two units, may vary depending on the specific units being converted.

4. Can I use an online conversion tool for unit conversions?

While online conversion tools can be helpful, it is important to understand the concept of unit conversions and how to perform them manually. This will allow you to double check your results and ensure accuracy. Additionally, some conversion tools may not have all the units or conversion factors needed for a specific calculation.

5. How can I practice and improve my unit conversion skills?

One of the best ways to practice unit conversions is to work through practice problems and exercises. There are also many online resources and tutorials available that can help improve your skills. Additionally, regularly working with different units and making conversions in your daily life can also help improve your understanding and proficiency in unit conversions.