How Do You Calculate the Charge on Capacitor C5 in a Mixed Circuit?

In summary, the circuit is constructed with five capacitors and a battery. The values for the capacitors are: C1 = C5 = 4.6 μF, C2 = 1.7 μF, C3 = 5.7 μF, and C4 = 2.7 μF. The battery voltage is V = 12 V.The Attempt at a SolutionI found the total capacitance for C234=4.009. Then I figured that C234 was in a series with C15...Where C15 the parallel capacitors C1 and C5. Is this logic correct? I added them appropriately and got 2.79 for C12345. Knowing these two groups had equal charges I
mrshappy0

Homework Statement

A circuit is constructed with five capacitors and a battery as shown. The values for the capacitors are: C1 = C5 = 4.6 μF, C2 = 1.7 μF, C3 = 5.7 μF, and C4 = 2.7 μF. The battery voltage is V = 12 V. 3)
What is Q5, the charge on capacitor C5?

Homework Equations

Parallel:
Cequ=C1+C2
Vequ=V1=V2
Qequi=Q1+Q2

Series:
Cequ=1/c1+1/c2
vequ=v1+v2
Qequi=Q1=Q2

C=Q/V

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the total capacitance for C234=4.009. Then I figured that C234 was in a series with C15...Where C15 the parallel capacitors C1 and C5. Is this logic correct? I added them appropriately and got 2.79 for C12345. Knowing these two groups had equal charges I multiplied C234(Qtotal)=V234 and C15(Qtotal)=V15. Q total 12v*C12345. From there I figured solved for Q5.. Q5=(C5)*(V15) because C1 and C5 have the same voltage. I got Q5 to be 16.75microC which is wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Could you post a picture of the circuit? It's difficult to interpret the question without the diagram.

I forgot to do that. Oops.
Circuit.jpg

mrshappy0 said:

Homework Statement

A circuit is constructed with five capacitors and a battery as shown. The values for the capacitors are: C1 = C5 = 4.6 μF, C2 = 1.7 μF, C3 = 5.7 μF, and C4 = 2.7 μF. The battery voltage is V = 12 V. 3)
What is Q5, the charge on capacitor C5?

Homework Equations

Parallel:
Cequ=C1+C2
Vequ=V1=V2
Qequi=Q1+Q2

Series:
Cequ=1/c1+1/c2
vequ=v1+v2
Qequi=Q1=Q2

C=Q/V

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the total capacitance for C234=4.009. Then I figured that C234 was in a series with C15...Where C15 the parallel capacitors C1 and C5. Is this logic correct? I added them appropriately and got 2.79 for C12345. Knowing these two groups had equal charges I multiplied C234(Qtotal)=V234 and C15(Qtotal)=V15. Q total 12v*C12345. From there I figured solved for Q5.. Q5=(C5)*(V15) because C1 and C5 have the same voltage. I got Q5 to be 16.75microC which is wrong.
C1 is not in parallel with C5 .

How is it not parallel with C5? I understand parallel to be this and that's what I see...
Capacitors.jpg

So the total capacitance would be (1/C1234+1/C5)^-1 ?

mrshappy0 said:
How is it not parallel with C5? I understand parallel to be this and that's what I see...
Capacitors.jpg

So the total capacitance would be (1/C1234+1/C5)^-1 ?
If those capacitors were resistors, would you say they're in series or say they're in parallel ? (in either figure)

Think of parallel and series in this way.

To be in series, there is only one way for the current to get from start to finish, and that's through the circuit elements you're interested in. (A)

However, when two things are in parallel the current can either go through one, or the other, and still end up completing the circuit (B)

See my drawing

Apply this to your circuit, what conclusion do you have to make when it comes to the current passing through C1 and C5

Attachments

• sp.png
    sp.png
    6.2 KB · Views: 853
Oh I see... so a parallel series is when the current is split and can go through one of multiple paths. That helps a lot. I wish I had tried that possibility before resorting to the forum for help. Thanks.

nice visualization. thanks!

Related to How Do You Calculate the Charge on Capacitor C5 in a Mixed Circuit?

1. How do I calculate the equivalent capacitance of a combination of capacitors?

The equivalent capacitance of a combination of capacitors can be calculated by adding the individual capacitances of the capacitors. If the capacitors are connected in series, the equivalent capacitance is equal to the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of the individual capacitances. If the capacitors are connected in parallel, the equivalent capacitance is equal to the sum of the individual capacitances.

2. What is the difference between series and parallel combination of capacitors?

In series combination, the capacitors are connected end-to-end, with the positive terminal of one capacitor connected to the negative terminal of the other. In parallel combination, the capacitors are connected side-by-side, with the positive terminals connected together and the negative terminals connected together.

3. Can I combine capacitors with different capacitances?

Yes, you can combine capacitors with different capacitances. In series combination, the equivalent capacitance will be less than the smallest individual capacitance. In parallel combination, the equivalent capacitance will be greater than the largest individual capacitance.

4. Does the voltage affect the equivalent capacitance of a combination of capacitors?

No, the voltage does not affect the equivalent capacitance of a combination of capacitors. The equivalent capacitance is only dependent on the individual capacitances and the way the capacitors are connected.

5. How does the combination of capacitors affect the overall capacitance in a circuit?

The combination of capacitors can increase or decrease the overall capacitance in a circuit. In series combination, the overall capacitance decreases. In parallel combination, the overall capacitance increases. This can be useful in controlling the amount of charge stored in a circuit and affecting the time constant of the circuit.