How Do You Calculate Sound Intensity from a Decibel Level?

In summary, a sound-level meter placed 150 mm from a small sound source recorded a reading of 45dB. The equation IL = 10 log(I/I.) was used to find the intensity, which resulted in a different answer of 3.16 x 10^-8. However, the correct answer given is 31.6 w/m square. This discrepancy may be due to a mix up in units, with the correct solution possibly being in units of nanowatts per meter squared. Further clarification may be needed to determine the exact cause of the discrepancy.
alkhan22

Homework Statement

A sound-level meter placed 150 mm from a small sound source records a reading of 45dB. What is the intensity at that point.

Homework Equations

I m using this equation IL = 10 log(I/I.) where I. is the lowest intensity i think which should be 10^-12 W/m^2.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have used the above equation to find the intensity but i get different answer which is 3.16 x 10^-8. but the correct answer given is 31.6 w/m square.

I will be very thankful if some body can hel as this is my 1t question in this forum. please let me know if i have missed something.

Physics news on Phys.org
can you show how you arrived at your answer?

this is how i got my answer.

45= 10[logI - Log10^-12]
4.5= LogI +12
-7.5 = log I

BECAUSE THE BAS WAS 10 SO

10^-7.5 = 3.1622 X 10^-8

that looks correct. it seems that the problem is one of mixing up units. the correct solution you have may be in units of nanowatts per meter squared.

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your question on this forum. I can provide some insights on this topic.

Firstly, the equation you have used, IL = 10 log(I/I.), is the correct equation to calculate the sound intensity level (IL). However, the value of I. should be 10^-12 W/m^2, not 3.16 x 10^-8 W/m^2. This is because I. represents the lowest intensity level that can be heard by the human ear, which is 10^-12 W/m^2.

Therefore, the correct calculation would be:

IL = 10 log (I/10^-12)

= 10 log (3.16 x 10^-8 / 10^-12)

= 10 log (3.16 x 10^4)

= 10 x 4

= 40 dB

As you can see, the result is 40 dB, not 31.6 W/m^2. This is because the unit for sound intensity is in decibels (dB), not watts per meter squared (W/m^2).

I hope this helps clarify your doubts. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Keep up the good work in your studies as a scientist!

Best regards,

Related to How Do You Calculate Sound Intensity from a Decibel Level?

1. What is a sound wave?

A sound wave is a type of mechanical wave that is created by vibrations and travels through a medium, such as air or water, to carry energy from one place to another.

2. How is the intensity of a sound wave measured?

The intensity of a sound wave is measured in decibels (dB) and is a measure of the amount of energy that is transmitted through the wave. It is calculated by comparing the sound pressure level to a reference value.

3. How does the intensity of a sound wave affect its loudness?

The intensity of a sound wave is directly proportional to its loudness. This means that the higher the intensity, the louder the sound will be perceived by the listener.

4. What factors can affect the intensity of a sound wave?

The intensity of a sound wave can be affected by several factors, including the distance from the source, the frequency of the sound, and the characteristics of the medium through which the sound is traveling.

5. Can sound waves with different intensities have the same loudness?

No, sound waves with different intensities will have different loudness levels. However, two sound waves with the same intensity but different frequencies can have the same loudness due to differences in human perception of different frequencies.