How Do You Calculate Q3 in a Complex Capacitor Network?

In summary, in a circuit with multiple capacitors, the charges are the same in all capacitors in a series combination. In the given circuit, the charge on C1 is equal to the charge on the parallel combination of C2 and C3. By using this relationship and the given values, the charge on C3 (Q3) can be calculated. Additionally, to determine if capacitors are in series or parallel, one can consider the physical connection of the plates. In a series combination, the plates are directly connected by a wire with no branching, while in a parallel combination, the plates are connected through another source.
ninjarawr
Capacitor Network (Please help!)

Homework Statement

In the circuit below, consisting of a battery and several capacitors, some quantities are known and some are not. The capacitors were completely uncharged before the battery was attached and we are considering the static situation.

Circuit: http://img690.imageshack.us/i/showmepl.gif/
2nq5sw9.gif

Q1= 8.5 × 10^-6 C
C1= 7.6 × 10^-6 F
C2= 2 × 10^-6 F
Energy stored on C2 is W2= 4.2 × 10^ -6 J

What is the charge Q3 on capacitor C3 ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I've figured out that V1 = 1.12, V2 and V3 = 2.05...but I have no idea how to find Q3 because we don't know C3

Physics news on Phys.org

In the series combination, Charges are the same in all the capacitors.So the charge on C1 is the same as the charge on the parallel combination of C2 and C3. Hence

Q2 = C1V2 and Q2 + Q3 = Q1.

Now find Q3.

rl.bhat said:
In the series combination, Charges are the same in all the capacitors.So the charge on C1 is the same as the charge on the parallel combination of C2 and C3. Hence

Q2 = C1V2 and Q2 + Q3 = Q1.

Now find Q3.

Thank you man!

I forgot to add the parallel C2 and C3 and turn it into one circuit, then assume that they are in series with C1...I really appreciate the help

How to know whether capacitors are in series or parallel in a circuit which contain many capacitors which are connected in tricky ways. Any thumb rule is there?

apkrishna1963 said:
How to know whether capacitors are in series or parallel in a circuit which contain many capacitors which are connected in tricky ways. Any thumb rule is there?
Consider two plates 1 and 2 from C1 and plates 3 and 4 form C2.
In series combination, 2 and 3 plates are connected by a wire and there is no branching in the wire. In parallel combination, 1 and 3 plates and 2 and 4 plates are connected. Then this combination is connected to other source.

Related to How Do You Calculate Q3 in a Complex Capacitor Network?

1. What is a capacitor network?

A capacitor network is a group of two or more capacitors that are connected together in a circuit. This allows for the combination of their individual capacitances to create a larger overall capacitance in the circuit.

2. How do capacitor networks work?

Capacitor networks work by storing and releasing electrical energy. When connected in a circuit, the capacitors store charge on their plates, creating an electric field between them. This electric field can then be used to store and release energy as needed.

3. What are some common applications of capacitor networks?

Capacitor networks have many applications in electronic circuits, such as filtering, smoothing, and energy storage. They are also used in power supplies, audio equipment, and electronic timers.

4. What factors affect the capacitance of a capacitor network?

The capacitance of a capacitor network is affected by the individual capacitances of the capacitors used, as well as their arrangement and connections. The type of dielectric material used and the distance between the plates also play a role in determining the overall capacitance.

5. How can I calculate the total capacitance of a capacitor network?

The total capacitance of a capacitor network can be calculated by adding the individual capacitances of each capacitor in series or by using a formula for capacitors in parallel. It is important to note the arrangement and connections of the capacitors in order to accurately calculate the total capacitance.