How Do You Calculate Potential Energy for Different Orientations of a Brick?

• Thread starter SammyLP250
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confused
In summary, the problem involves a 1.57 kg brick with dimensions 20.0 cm x 8.00 cm x 5.50 cm. The potential energy is being calculated when the brick is standing on its broadest face and when it is balanced on its 8 cm edge. For the first part, the potential energy cannot be determined as it is unclear what "standing on end" means. For the second part, the potential energy is calculated to be 1.23 J using the formula Ug=mgh, but the correct answer according to Mastering Physics is 1.17 J. It is suggested to check the difference in the center of mass between
SammyLP250

Homework Statement

A 1.57 kg brick measures 20.0 cm x 8.00 cm x 5.50 cm. Taking the zero of potential energy when the brick lies on its broadest face. (a) What is the potential energy when the brick is standing on end? Note: You can treat the brick as though all its mass is concentrated at its center. (b) What is the potential energy when it's balanced on its 8 cm edge?

Homework Equations

Ug=mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

I could not figure out the first part of the question because I don't know what "standing on end" means.

As for B:

m = 1.57 kg
g = 9.81
h = 0.08 m

Ug = (1.57)(9.81)(0.08) = 1.23 J

That is the answer I get, but Mastering Physics tells me that there was a rounding error and the answer is 1.17 J and I cannot figure out where I was wrong. This is not supposed to be a hard problem. Maybe I'm thinking too hard about it??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Check the difference of CM between 20.0 cm x 8.00 cm surface facing the floor and that of
8.00 cm x 5.50 cm.

I guess it is between the broadest and the least broad. There are 3 dimensions of faces.

Thanks for replying! Could you explain to me what you mean by check the difference? I'm a little slow...

If it is standing with height of 20cm, then the height of CM is 10cm.
Likewise if it is standing with height of 5.5cm, then the CM must be (5.5/2)cm

As a scientist, it is important to carefully read and understand the problem before attempting to solve it. In this case, "standing on end" means that the brick is placed vertically on its narrowest edge. This is different from "balanced on its 8 cm edge", which means that the brick is placed horizontally on its 8 cm edge.

For part (a), you can calculate the potential energy by using the formula Ug=mgh, where h is the height of the brick when it is standing on end. Since the brick is treated as a point mass at its center, h would be equal to half of the brick's height, which is 2.75 cm. Therefore, the potential energy would be:

Ug = (1.57 kg)(9.81 m/s^2)(0.0275 m) = 0.43 J

For part (b), you have correctly calculated the potential energy when the brick is balanced on its 8 cm edge. However, the answer given by Mastering Physics is likely due to rounding errors in the values used for g and h. The more accurate answer would be 1.23 J, as you have calculated.

In general, when solving problems in physics, it is important to pay attention to the units and significant figures in order to avoid rounding errors. It is also helpful to double-check your calculations to make sure you have used the correct values and formulas.

Related to How Do You Calculate Potential Energy for Different Orientations of a Brick?

1. What should I do if I am confused about the answer to a problem?

The first step is to take a deep breath and try not to panic. Then, reread the problem and make sure you understand what it is asking. Next, try approaching the problem from a different angle or breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts. If you are still struggling, don't be afraid to ask for help from a teacher, tutor, or classmate.

2. Why do I feel confused about the answer to a problem?

It's natural to feel confused when faced with a challenging problem. Sometimes the problem may be unclear or you may not have all the necessary information. Other times, your approach or understanding of the problem may be incorrect. It's important to identify the root cause of your confusion so you can address it effectively.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills when I am confused about the answer?

One way to improve your problem-solving skills is by practicing regularly. The more problems you solve, the more familiar you will become with different types of problems and the strategies for solving them. It can also be helpful to seek out additional resources, such as online tutorials or textbooks, to learn new problem-solving techniques.

4. Is it okay to ask for help when I am confused about the answer to a problem?

Absolutely! Asking for help is a sign of strength, not weakness. It shows that you are willing to learn and improve. Don't be afraid to reach out to your teacher, classmates, or other resources when you are struggling with a problem. It's always better to ask for help sooner rather than later.

5. How can I prevent feeling confused about the answer to a problem in the future?

One way to prevent confusion in the future is by practicing good problem-solving habits, such as reading the problem carefully, breaking it down into smaller parts, and checking your work. It can also be helpful to review and reflect on your mistakes to identify any patterns or areas where you need to improve. Additionally, don't be afraid to ask questions and seek clarification when needed.