How Do You Calculate Particle Position with Quadratic Drag and Gravity?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a particle moving vertically under gravity and a retarding force proportional to the square of its velocity. The goal is to find the particle's position at a given time. The conversation includes attempts at solving the problem using integration and substitution methods. Finally, the suggestion is made to substitute v=\sqrt\frac{g}{k}\cdot tan \theta, which helps in solving the problem.
Tomsk
Hi, I'm stuck on this problem.
A particle moves vertically under gravity and a retarding force proportional to the square of the velocity. If v is its upwards or downwards speed, show that

[tex]\dot{v}=\mp g-kv^2[/tex] (1)

Respectively, where k is a constant
This was fine, it's the next bit I don't get.
If the particle moves upwards, show that it's position at time t is given by

[tex]z=z_{0} + \frac{1}{k}\ln{\cos{[\sqrt{gk}(t_0-t)]}[/tex]

Where z_0 and t_0 are integration constants. You may find the identity

[tex]\ln{\cos{x}}\equiv\frac{-1}{2}\ln{(1+\tan^2{x})}[/tex]

useful.
From (1) I'm thinking I'll integrate up to get v, then again to get z, as v=dz/dt. The other alternative would be to treat is as a second order DE for z, but I tried that and didn't get anywhere. I also tried an integrating factor, but that didn't work either. I've currently got:

[tex]-\int{\frac{dv}{g+kv^2}}=t[/tex]

But I can't integrate it! I tried the sub

[tex]v=\tan{\theta}[/tex]

[tex]dv=\sec^2{\theta}d\theta[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow -\int{\frac{d\theta}{g\cos^2{\theta}+k\sin^2{\theta}}[/tex]

Now what? Maybe use:

[tex]\sin^2{\theta}=\frac{1-\cos{2\theta}}{2}[/tex]

[tex]\cos^2{\theta}=\frac{1+\cos{2\theta}}{2}[/tex]

? It doesn't seem to be helping!

I just noticed:

[tex]\int{\tan{x}dx}=\ln{\sec{x}}[/tex]

So I think I must want v=tan(f(t)), or something. But I just don't see how I can get it. Maybe I have the wrong sub as I want sec^2 to integrate to tan.

Thanks in advance! (Let's hope this tex works...)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try the substitution:
[tex]v=\sqrt\frac{g}{k}\cdot tan \theta[/tex]

Awesome, thanks very much! I'll hopefully be able to do the rest now.

Related to How Do You Calculate Particle Position with Quadratic Drag and Gravity?

What is "Friction proportional to v^2"?

"Friction proportional to v^2" refers to the relationship between the force of friction and the velocity of an object. It states that the force of friction acting on an object is directly proportional to the square of its velocity.

How is this relationship derived?

This relationship is derived from the laws of motion, specifically Newton's Second Law which states that force is equal to mass multiplied by acceleration. When an object moves with a constant velocity, the acceleration is zero, therefore the force acting on the object must also be zero. However, when the object is accelerating, the force of friction increases as the velocity squared.

What are some examples of this relationship in real life?

One example of this relationship in real life is when a car is driving at a high speed. As the car's velocity increases, the force of friction between the tires and the road increases as well, making it more difficult to stop the car. Another example is when a cyclist is riding downhill at a high speed, they will experience a greater force of friction from the air resistance.

How does this relationship affect the motion of objects?

This relationship affects the motion of objects by creating a resistance force that opposes the motion of the object. As the velocity of the object increases, so does the force of friction, making it more difficult for the object to move at a constant speed. This can also cause objects to slow down or come to a stop if the force of friction is greater than the force propelling the object forward.

Can the force of friction ever be greater than the force propelling the object?

Yes, in some cases the force of friction can be greater than the force propelling the object. This can happen when an object is moving at a very high velocity or when there is a lot of resistance from the surface or medium the object is moving through. This can cause the object to slow down or even come to a stop.