How Do You Calculate Force in Vector Form?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the force in Q(a)(ii), expressing the force as a vector, and taking the dot product of two vectors. The unit vector is defined as a vector divided by its length, and the expression for work is requested. The final answer for expressing the force in vector form is calculated as ##{14\over\sqrt{3}}\hat{i} + {14\over\sqrt{3}}\hat{j} +{14\over\sqrt{3}}\hat{k}##.
williamwong0402
Member warned that an effort must be shown, and the homework template is required
Hi everyone

please help
how can i find the force in Q(a)(ii)?

WhatsApp Image 2016-12-11 at 9.58.01 PM.jpeg

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF William!

A unit vector is just the vector ie. (x, y z) divided by its length. What is the length of this vector (1,1,1)?

You must then express the force as a vector by multiplying the magnitude of tbe force (14 N) by the unjt vector in the direction of that force.

Can you provide us with the expression for Work in terms of the information provided?

AM

like this?
but how can get force of vector by multiplying
WhatsApp Image 2016-12-11 at 11.28.24 PM.jpeg

williamwong0402 said:
but how can get force of vector by multiplying
I did not get it. Can you please state it clearly.
But I guess you mean how to express Force in vector form. That is simply ##{14\over\sqrt{3}}\hat{i} + {14\over\sqrt{3}}\hat{j} +{14\over\sqrt{3}}\hat{k}##.

For (iv) you need to take dot product of (ii) and (iii). ##(\vec{A}\cdot\vec{B} = A_xB_x + A_yB_y + A_zB_z)##

Buffu said:
I did not get it. Can you please state it clearly.
But I guess you mean how to express Force in vector form. That is simply ##{14\over\sqrt{3}}\hat{i} + {14\over\sqrt{3}}\hat{j} +{14\over\sqrt{3}}\hat{k}##.

For (iv) you need to take dot product of (ii) and (iii). ##(\vec{A}\cdot\vec{B} = A_xB_x + A_yB_y + A_zB_z)##

Thank you ~i got it
i just thought the other way more complex:wink:

Related to How Do You Calculate Force in Vector Form?

1. What is the formula for calculating force?

The formula for calculating force is F = m * a, where F is the force in Newtons, m is the mass in kilograms, and a is the acceleration in meters per second squared.

2. How do I determine the direction of the force?

The direction of the force is determined by the direction of the acceleration. If the acceleration is in the same direction as the force, then the force is considered positive. If the acceleration is in the opposite direction, then the force is considered negative.

3. How can I find the magnitude of a vector force?

To find the magnitude of a vector force, you can use the Pythagorean theorem. Take the square root of the sum of the squares of the force in each direction. This will give you the magnitude or size of the force.

4. Can force be negative?

Yes, force can be negative. A negative force indicates that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the positive force. For example, if a force of -10 Newtons is applied to an object, it means the force is acting in the negative direction of the chosen coordinate system.

5. How can I calculate the net force on an object?

To calculate the net force on an object, you need to add up all the individual forces acting on the object. Make sure to consider the direction of each force, as well as its magnitude. The net force will be the overall force acting on the object.