How Do You Calculate Elementary Matrices for Matrix Transformations?

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding elementary matrices to solve problems involving matrices. The first set of problems asked to find elementary matrix E such that AE=B, while the second set asked to find E such that EA=B. The key concept to understand is that elementary matrices are derived by applying a particular row or column operation to the identity matrix. In order to solve for E, one can use matrix inverses. It is important to make the connection between row operations and elementary matrices in order to solve these types of problems.
jimmypoopins
Hello all, I'm taking my first year in linear algebra and I'm having some issues understanding how to deal with some problems involving elementary matrices.

First off, i have a set of problems that ask to find the elementary matrix E such that AE=B, and secondly i have a set of problems asking to find the elementary matrix E such that EA=B. I've reread this section in the book a couple of times and there isn't much about matrix algebra involving elementary matrices, other than the fact that they do row operations on matrices. How exactly am i supposed the row operations in these sets of problems?

For example, one problem is

Find an elementary matrix E such that EA=B

[tex]A=\left(\begin{array}{ccc}2&1&3\\-2&4&5\\3&1&4\end{array}\right), B=\left(\begin{array}{ccc}2&1&3\\3&1&4\\-2&4&5\end{array}\right)[/tex]

it's obvious to me that row's 2 and 3 are switched in A to make B, but how do i know what elementary matrix does that? The back of the book says that

[tex]E=\left(\begin{array}{ccc}1&0&0\\0&0&1\\0&1&0\end{array}\right)[/tex]

and after performing the matrix multiplication i get it, but there has to be a better way to learn how to do it (especially since i don't know how to do the other problems in the set without looking in the back of the book).

Also,

Find an elementary matrix E such that AE = B

[tex]A=\left(\begin{array}{ccc}4&-2&3\\-2&4&2\\6&1&-2\end{array}\right), B=\left(\begin{array}{ccc}2&-2&3\\-1&4&2\\3&1&-2\end{array}\right)[/tex]

the back of the book states that

[tex]E=\left(\begin{array}{ccc}1/2&0&0\\0&1&0\\0&0&1\end{array}\right)[/tex]

column 1 is halved in the transformation from A to B, so that makes sense, however there is another problem (from the same AE = B set)

[tex]A=\left(\begin{array}{cc}2&4\\1&6\end{array}\right), B=\left(\begin{array}{cc}2&-2\\1&3\end{array}\right)[/tex]

here column 2 is halved and negative, so i'd assume the elementary matrix to be similar to the one in the first problem, but the back of the book says it is

[tex]E=\left(\begin{array}{cc}1&-3\\0&1\end{array}\right)[/tex]

can anyone point me in the right direction here? even a link to a site that explains it well would be helpful. thank you for your time.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Inverses are overkill. The exercise wants him to recognize elementary row & column operations and relate them to the elementary matrices.

jimmypoopins said:
[tex]A=\left(\begin{array}{cc}2&4\\1&6\end{array}\right), B=\left(\begin{array}{cc}2&-2\\1&3\end{array}\right)[/tex]

here column 2 is halved and negative
No it's not. The negation of half of 6 is -3, not 3.

genneth said:
It seems like you need to learn how to do matrix inverses.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invertible_matrix

i know how to do matrix inverses... how are they related to elementary matrices, though?

if i have EA=B is there a way to solve for E using inverses?

[tex]EA=B \implies E=BA^{-1}[/tex]

Are you sure you know WHAT an "elementary matrix" is. It is a matrix derived by applying a particular row or column operation to the identity matrix. In your last problem you go from A to B by subracting twice the first column from the second column. If you do that to the identity matrix, you get the corresponding row operation.

Edit: sorry for the needless bump... I only just realized how old this topic was.

jimmypoopins said:

[tex]E=\left(\begin{array}{cc}1&-3\\0&1\end{array}\right)[/tex]

can anyone point me in the right direction here? even a link to a site that explains it well would be helpful. thank you for your time.

I am currently taking Linear Algebra as well, and this one was rather easy for me to figure out. First, I assumed [tex]E=\left(\begin{array}{cc}a&b\\c&d\end{array}\right)[/tex] and then did some basic algebra...

2a+4c=2
a+6c=1
a=1
c=0

2b+4d=-2
b+6d=3
b=-3
d=1

So [tex]E=\left(\begin{array}{cc}1&-3\\0&1\end{array}\right)[/tex]

Related to How Do You Calculate Elementary Matrices for Matrix Transformations?

Question 1: What is an elementary matrix?

An elementary matrix is a square matrix that can be obtained from the identity matrix by performing a single elementary row operation. It is used to simplify calculations in linear algebra and is often denoted by a capital letter E with a subscript indicating the type of row operation performed.

Question 2: What are the three types of elementary row operations?

The three types of elementary row operations are:

1. Interchanging two rows
  2. Multiplying a row by a non-zero constant
  3. Adding a multiple of one row to another row
These operations can be performed on any matrix, including the identity matrix, to obtain an elementary matrix.

Question 3: How are elementary matrices used to solve linear systems?

Elementary matrices are used to simplify the process of solving linear systems by reducing the original system to an equivalent system with a simpler form. This is done by multiplying the original system with elementary matrices, which does not change the solution of the system. The reduced system can then be solved more easily using techniques like back-substitution.

Question 4: Can elementary matrices be used to find the inverse of a matrix?

Yes, elementary matrices can be used to find the inverse of a matrix. This is because multiplying a matrix with its inverse results in the identity matrix, and elementary matrices are used to obtain the identity matrix. By performing the same row operations on both the original matrix and the identity matrix, the inverse of the original matrix can be obtained.

Question 5: Are all elementary matrices invertible?

Yes, all elementary matrices are invertible. This is because they are obtained from the identity matrix, which is always invertible. Moreover, elementary matrices are also square matrices, which is a necessary condition for invertibility.