How Do You Calculate Eigenvalues for a 2x2 Symmetric Matrix?

• Thread starter ilikephysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eigenvalues
In summary, the eigenvalues of the general real symmetric 2 x 2 matrix A= a b b c are a-b and c-b. These values were obtained by solving the quadratic equation (a-eigenvalue)(c-eigenvalue)-b^2=0. It is incorrect to assume that the equation (a-eigenvalue)(c-eigenvalue)=b^2 means that a-eigenvalue=b and c-eigenvalue=b. Instead, the equation results in a quadratic equation in the eigenvalue variable, which can be solved using the quadratic formula.
ilikephysics
Find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the general real symmetric 2 x 2 matrix A= a b
b c

The two eigenvalues that I got are a-b and c-b. I got these values from this:

(a-eigenvalue)(c-eigenvalue)-b^2=0
(a-eigenvalue)(c-eigenvalue) = b^2
(a-eigenvalue)= b = a-b
(c-eigenvalue)= b = c-b

Will there be 4 eigen values instead of the two that I have? Like, a-b and a+b and c-b and c+b?
I haven't gotten to the eigenvectors yet. I'll post what I have in a minute.

Thanks for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
eigenvectors

Are these the eigenvectors?

For a-b,

c-a-b

For c-b,

a-c-b

For the eigenvalues, you can't quite perform one of the steps you did. It's an incorrect assumption that

a - r = b = c - r
where r is an eigenvalue.

You've got the right equation up until that point, i.e.,

(a-r)(c-r) - b^2 = 0

but this is a quadratic equation in the r variable. Solve it the way you would normally solve a quadratic equation! Nothing too fancy.

cookiemonster

If you are working with eigenvalues and eigenvectors it would be a really, really good idea not to mess up basic algebra!

You have:
(a-eigenvalue)(c-eigenvalue) = b^2
(a-eigenvalue)= b = a-b
(c-eigenvalue)= b = c-b

You appear to be thinking that if xy= b^2, then x= b and y= b.

That is not at all true! (9*1= 32;5*(9/5)= 32, etc.)

Once you have the equation (a-eigenvalue)(c-eigenvalue) = b^2

(I'm going to use λ for the eigenvalue)

(a- &lamda;)(c-&lamba;)- b2= 0
λ2-(a+c)&lambda+ (ac- b2)= 0

Now you can use the quadratic formula to solve for the two values of λ

Related to How Do You Calculate Eigenvalues for a 2x2 Symmetric Matrix?

1. What are eigenvalues and why are they important?

Eigenvalues are a set of numbers associated with a square matrix that represent the scaling factor of the eigenvectors of that matrix. They are important because they help us understand the behavior and properties of a matrix, and are useful in solving various mathematical and scientific problems.

2. How do I calculate eigenvalues?

There are various methods for calculating eigenvalues, but the most common one is through the characteristic polynomial of a matrix. This involves finding the roots of the polynomial, which correspond to the eigenvalues of the matrix. Other methods include the power method, QR algorithm, and Jacobi method.

3. How can I tell if my eigenvalues are correct?

One way to check the correctness of eigenvalues is by using the characteristic equation. If the calculated eigenvalues satisfy the characteristic equation, then they are correct. Additionally, eigenvalues should also satisfy certain properties such as being real numbers (for a real matrix) and being non-zero.

4. What if my eigenvalues are complex numbers?

Eigenvalues can be complex numbers, especially for matrices with complex elements. In this case, the complex eigenvalues are usually represented as a pair of complex conjugate numbers. Complex eigenvalues can still provide valuable information about the matrix, such as the stability of a system in a dynamic model.

5. Can eigenvalues be negative?

Yes, eigenvalues can be negative, positive, or zero. The sign of eigenvalues depends on the matrix and its properties. In general, a negative eigenvalue indicates that the corresponding eigenvector will be reflected about the origin, while a positive eigenvalue indicates a scaling of the eigenvector in the same direction. Zero eigenvalues indicate that the corresponding eigenvector is a null vector.