How Do You Calculate Displacement, Average Speed, and Velocity in 2D Kinematics?

In summary, for a 60 minute trip, the total displacement is 8.33 km northwest, the average speed is 24.33 km/h, and the average velocity is 0.139 km/h northwest. To solve this problem, the kinematic equation x=1/2at^2+vt can be used.
uwonki
A motorist drives south at 20.0m/s for 3.00 min, then turns west and travels at 25.0m/s for 2.00 min, and finally travels northwest at 3.00m/s for 1.00 min.

For the 60 min trip, find the total displacement, the average speed and the average velocity.

I'm embarrassed how I still don't understand how to do these questions.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe the best way to solve a problem like this is to do it yourself. But, i will tell you what you need to know. Since the velocity is a vector. This is a vector addition problem that requires the use of the kinematic equations to solve. The kinematic equation I would use is
x=1/2at^2+vt Where x stands for displacement, a for acceleration, t for time, and v for velocity.

Related to How Do You Calculate Displacement, Average Speed, and Velocity in 2D Kinematics?

1. What is kinematics in 2D?

Kinematics in 2D is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects in a two-dimensional space. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object in both the x and y directions.

2. How is kinematics in 2D different from kinematics in 1D?

Kinematics in 2D is different from kinematics in 1D because it involves analyzing the motion of an object in two dimensions, while kinematics in 1D only considers motion in a single dimension.

3. What are the key equations used in kinematics in 2D?

The key equations used in kinematics in 2D are the equations of motion, which include the equations for position, velocity, and acceleration in both the x and y directions. These equations are derived from the basic principles of physics, such as Newton's laws of motion.

4. How is kinematics in 2D applied in real life?

Kinematics in 2D is applied in real life in a variety of fields, including engineering, robotics, and sports. For example, engineers use kinematics in 2D to design and analyze the motion of machines and structures. In sports, kinematics in 2D is used to analyze the movements of athletes and improve their performance.

5. What are some common misconceptions about kinematics in 2D?

One common misconception about kinematics in 2D is that it only applies to objects moving in a completely flat plane. In reality, kinematics in 2D can be applied to any motion in two dimensions, including curved paths and motion on inclined surfaces. Another misconception is that kinematics in 2D is only relevant to objects in outer space. In fact, it is applicable to any object moving in a two-dimensional space, whether it is on Earth or in outer space.