How Do You Calculate Degrees of Freedom in Diatomic Gases Like Oxygen?

In summary, monatomic gases have 3 degrees of freedom, diatomic (or, in general all that lie on a common line) 5 and three and polyatomic (if they do not lie on a common line like CO2 for example) 6.Monatomic gases have 3 degrees of freedom, diatomic (or, in general all that lie on a common line) 5 and three and polyatomic (if they do not lie on a common line like CO2 for example) 6. You can figure out the degrees of freedom of a gas by counting the number of positions and orientations you need to specify it.
vorcil
How do i figure out the degrees of freedom of a certain object/gas

for example oxygen gas

i know it's 02

two oxygen molecules

-

the degrees of freedom is supposibly 5

but how do you figure that out?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
monoatomic gases have 3 degs of freedoms, diatomic (or, in general all that lie on a common line) 5 and three and polyatomic (if they do not lie on a common line like CO2 for example) 6.

Dickfore said:
monoatomic gases have 3 degs of freedoms, diatomic (or, in general all that lie on a common line) 5 and three and polyatomic (if they do not lie on a common line like CO2 for example) 6.

Yeah no, Not the answer i was looking for,

your answer, explains it empirically, you can't actually tell me why it is 3,5 ect...

-

I've been reading about the Equipartition theorem, and it has to do with each form of energy a particle, or molecule can have, and the degrees of freedom is the sum of all the different forms of energy it can posses.

thanks for trying, but I'm needing a better explanation.

Monatomic can move in three dimensions, but any rotation doesn't really change how it looks (some quantum effect, I've heard). Hence 3 degrees of freedom.
Diatomic, like your oxygen molecule, can move in three dimensions and spin in two. Now why not three? Really, same explanation as before - the last axis spins the molecule, but you couldn't tell the difference anyway, so some quantum effect says it's not really a dergree of freedom. Hence 3 moving and 2 spinning = 5 degrees of freedom.

One way to look at degrees of freedom is to ask yourself: if I have a particle of the system (an atom, a molecule, anything), how many numbers do I have to give to specify its position / orientation (what we call the configuration)?

So for instance, for a gas of monoatomic particles, you need 3 numbers to specify the position (x, y and z) and it doesn't have any discernible orientation, so its total degrees of freedom is 3.

For a gas of diatomic particles, for each particle you need again 3 numbers to specify its position (this is usually always so), but this time you can orient it in space, and you need two angles to do this (one angle wouldn't be enough, since the orientation is in 3D). So it has 3+2 = 5 degrees of freedom.

Note that the previous example assumes that the distance between the atoms of the diatomic particle is fixed. If it's not, then we'd have an extra degree of freedom: the distance between them.

Likes i_hate_math

Related to How Do You Calculate Degrees of Freedom in Diatomic Gases Like Oxygen?

1. What is the definition of Degrees of Freedom (DF)?

Degrees of Freedom refers to the number of independent variables or parameters that can vary in a statistical calculation or experiment. It represents the number of values that are free to vary without affecting the overall result.

2. How do I calculate Degrees of Freedom?

The formula for calculating Degrees of Freedom depends on the type of statistical test or experiment being conducted. In general, it is equal to the sample size minus the number of constraints or restrictions in the data. For example, in a t-test, DF = n-1, where n is the sample size.

3. Why is it important to consider Degrees of Freedom in statistical analysis?

Degrees of Freedom is important because it affects the accuracy and reliability of statistical results. Having a low number of DF can lead to an overestimation of statistical significance, while a high number of DF can increase the likelihood of finding a significant result. It also helps to determine the appropriate critical values for hypothesis testing.

4. How does sample size affect Degrees of Freedom?

As the sample size increases, the Degrees of Freedom also increases. This is because a larger sample size provides more data points and reduces the impact of random variation, resulting in a more accurate estimation of the population parameters.

5. Can Degrees of Freedom be negative?

No, Degrees of Freedom cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it represents the number of independent pieces of information available for calculation or analysis. If the calculated DF is negative, it is likely a result of an error in the data or calculation process.