How Do You Calculate Change in Velocity?

In summary, the conversation discusses a velocity problem where a motor scooter travels east at 12 m/s and then reverses direction to travel west at 16 m/s. The question asks for the change in velocity, which can be found by taking the difference between the two velocities. After some discussion, the correct answer of 28 m/s is determined.
sphykik
[SOLVED] Velocity Problem

Homework Statement

A motor scooter travels east at a speed of 12 m/s. The driver then reverses direction and heads west at 16 m/s. What was the change in velocity of the scooter?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Looking at this problem, I thought it was extremely easy, but I seem to not be getting the right answer, haha (our homework is submitted electronically). Anyways, since you only have components in the x direction I thought I could just add the velocities. I figured the driver would move +12 m/s, and then -16 m/s. That would result in a change of 4, or negative 4 if you count the direction... But that's not correct, so I must be missing something!

Thanks in advance for the help,
Damian

Physics news on Phys.org
Since we dealing in velocities they have a magnitude and direction. We can show the direction of travel in one dimension by choosing one direction to be positive. If we choose east to be positive then his velocity to the east is 12m/s and his velocity to the west is -16m/s. What is the difference between these two numbers? Remember that the difference of two numbers A and B is given by |A - B|.

Thanks, I got an answer of 28, and it is correct!

Related to How Do You Calculate Change in Velocity?

1. What is the formula for calculating the velocity of a scooter?

The formula for calculating velocity is Velocity = Distance/Time. This means that the velocity is equal to the distance traveled divided by the time it took to travel that distance.

2. How do I measure the distance traveled by a scooter?

The distance traveled by a scooter can be measured using a measuring tape or ruler. You can measure the distance from the starting point to the end point of the scooter's movement.

3. What units are used to measure velocity for a scooter?

The units used to measure velocity for a scooter are meters per second (m/s). This means that the velocity is measured in terms of how many meters the scooter travels in one second.

4. How does the weight of a scooter affect its velocity?

The weight of a scooter can affect its velocity because a heavier scooter will require more force to move at the same speed as a lighter scooter. This means that a lighter scooter will generally have a higher velocity than a heavier scooter.

5. Can velocity be negative for a scooter?

Yes, velocity can be negative for a scooter. This means that the scooter is moving in the opposite direction of its initial motion. For example, if the scooter moves 10 meters to the right and then 5 meters to the left, its velocity would be -5 m/s.