How Do You Calculate Average Speed with Variable Acceleration?

In summary, the conversation discusses the definitions of speed and acceleration and an attempt at solving a problem involving these concepts. The participants also discuss the importance of using numerical values when solving such problems.
YMMMA

Homework Statement

In the file below.

Homework Equations

Speed= total distance over total time.
Acceleration = change of speed over time

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I tought it is just E because of the first rule above. But then I doubt my answer since it moved with constant acceleration first then constant speed. However, I don’t see thant any of the choices fit. Can someone help?

Attachments

• ED7D8443-4A91-44E6-9B59-9BAE6814138E.jpeg
    ED7D8443-4A91-44E6-9B59-9BAE6814138E.jpeg
    27.4 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your definition for speed is actually the definition for average speed. What is the total distance and what is the total time?

Sum of distance and sum of time?

What is the sum of the distances? How much time elapsed in covering those distances?
Hint: for total time, try replacing t1 and t2 with numerical values to get an idea of total time in letter variables.

Likes YMMMA
Is it not d1+d2 for total distance? Aha, the hint makes this clear; it is just t2.
Next time I will assume some values. Thanks a lot.

Well, I made the same mistake at first.

Likes YMMMA

Related to How Do You Calculate Average Speed with Variable Acceleration?

1. What is the formula for calculating average speed?

The formula for calculating average speed is: average speed = total distance / total time. This means that to find the average speed, you need to divide the total distance traveled by the object by the total time it took to travel that distance.

2. How do I find the total distance traveled?

The total distance traveled can be found by adding up all the distances traveled during the journey. For example, if an object traveled 10 meters, then 20 meters, and finally 30 meters, the total distance traveled would be 10 + 20 + 30 = 60 meters.

3. What units should I use for average speed?

The units for average speed will depend on the units used for distance and time. For example, if distance is measured in kilometers and time is measured in hours, then the units for average speed would be kilometers per hour (km/h).

4. Is average speed the same as velocity?

No, average speed and velocity are not the same. Average speed is a scalar quantity that only takes into account the total distance traveled and total time taken, while velocity is a vector quantity that also takes into account direction. Average speed does not consider the direction of motion, only the magnitude of the speed.

5. Can average speed be greater than the fastest speed reached?

Yes, it is possible for average speed to be greater than the fastest speed reached. This can happen if the object travels at a high speed for only a short amount of time, and then travels at a slower speed for the rest of the journey. In this case, the faster speed would have a smaller impact on the average speed calculation compared to the slower speed that was sustained for a longer period of time.