How Do You Calculate Areas Enclosed by Curves and Lines?

In summary: I integrate from x=1 to x=3 it's ((x^3-1). You are correct. When you integrate from x=0 to x=1 it's ((1/x^2)-1)-(-1) and when you integrate from x=1 to x=3 it's ((x^3-1).
lionely

Homework Statement

Find the areas enclosed by the following curves and straight lines:
c) y= (1/x2) -1 , y= -1 , x=1/2, and x=2

b) y = x3-1, the axes and y = 26

2. The attempt at a solution
Okay I sketched the curve and to me it looks like the curve occupies no area at y=-1 it's undefined there.

so isn't the area occupied from x = 1/2 to x =2

so ∫1/x2) -1 . dx
y= [(1/x) - x ] + c

( (1/2) - 2) - ( 2 - (1/2)) = -3
but the answer in my book says 3/2

and for the 2nd question
The points at which these curves intersect are (3,26)
∫x3 -1 . dx
y = (x4/4) - x = 17 1/4 ( x = 0 to 3)

∫26.dx = 26x = 78 sq units( from x 0 to 3)

78- 17/4 = 60 3/4 but in the back of my book it says 60 exactly, and I don't see what I did wrong..

Help is greatly appreciated~!

Physics news on Phys.org
lionely said:

Homework Statement

Find the areas enclosed by the following curves and straight lines:
c) y= (1/x2) -1 , y= -1 , x=1/2, and x=2

b) y = x3-1, the axes and y = 26

2. The attempt at a solution
Okay I sketched the curve and to me it looks like the curve occupies no area at y=-1 it's undefined there.

so isn't the area occupied from x = 1/2 to x =2

so ∫1/x2) -1 . dx
y= [(1/x) - x ] + c

( (1/2) - 2) - ( 2 - (1/2)) = -3
but the answer in my book says 3/2

and for the 2nd question
The points at which these curves intersect are (3,26)
∫x3 -1 . dx
y = (x4/4) - x = 17 1/4 ( x = 0 to 3)

∫26.dx = 26x = 78 sq units( from x 0 to 3)

78- 17/4 = 60 3/4 but in the back of my book it says 60 exactly, and I don't see what I did wrong..

Help is greatly appreciated~!

The area between two curves f(x)>g(x) is the integral of f(x)-g(x). In the first case, f(x) is 1/x^2-1 and g(x) is (-1).

So you mean just to (1/x)-x -x? and that's the area?
But what do I put in for the values of x.. 1/2 and 2?

lionely said:
So you mean just to (1/x)-x -1? and that's the area?
But what do I put in for the values of x.. 1/2 and 2?

The function to integrate is ((1/x^2)-1)-(-1). Yes, put the x limits to 1/2 and 2. Your previous attempt simply ignored the y=(-1) for reasons that are somewhat obscure to me. It's true that the two curves don't cross. But you can't ignore the lower curve.

I thought that it had no area at y=-1 because when y=-1 the function is undefined .

So do the same thing for the question before?

>.> sorry it's not undefined I don't know what I was thinking about....

lionely said:
I thought that it had no area at y=-1 because when y=-1 the function is undefined .

So do the same thing for the question before?

>.> sorry it's not undefined I don't know what I was thinking about....

There is no point where 1/x^2-1 equals (-1). Correct. That just means the two curves don't intersect each other. Doesn't mean you can ignore one.

When I use 1/x I keep getting -3/2

lionely said:
When I use 1/x I keep getting -3/2

Show how you got that. Hint: the integral of 1/x^2 is not 1/x.

=.= my god ... didn't see it's -1/x forgot to divide by -1

but for the 2nd question I can't get the exact 60 I get 60 3/4
Isn't the integral [ (x^4/4) -27x] ?

lionely said:
but for the 2nd question I can't get the exact 60 I get 60 3/4
Isn't the integral [ (x^4/4) -27x] ?

You really need to draw a sketch of the region you are integrating over. You are working blind here. You don't integrate over that function for the whole interval [0,3]. At some point x^3-1 will cross the x-axis. That's supposed to be one of your boundaries. You need to split the integral up.

Okay so I integrate the region x=0 to x=1 and then x= 1 to x=3

then subtract them?

lionely said:
Okay so I integrate the region x=0 to x=1 and then x= 1 to x=3

then subtract them?

I would say add them. And what you are integrating in each region is different. What two different forms are they? Why do you say subtract them?

Oh because I was thinking about what you said area between curves is
f(x) - g(x) but now when I look at my sketch that wouldn't make sense.

lionely said:
Oh because I was thinking about what you said area between curves is
f(x) - g(x) but now when I look at my sketch that wouldn't make sense.

The graph will tell you what to do.

I just don't understand! The integral is ((x^4/4) -27x) right? when I integrate from x=0 to x=1 I get -26 3/4

and when I do it for x=1 to x=3 I get -34.. I can't get the +60 !

lionely said:
I just don't understand! The integral is ((x^4/4) -27x) right? when I integrate from x=0 to x=1 I get -26 3/4

and when I do it for x=1 to x=3 I get -34.. I can't get the +60 !

What are the boundaries between x=0 and x=1? Hint: Neither of them is x^3-1. Look at your graph! The upper boundary is 26 and the lower boundary is the x-axis!

I think I got it now... the integral for x=0 and x=1 is 26x so it's 26..

then for the other side of the graph it's (x^4/4 -x) for x=3 and x=1 and that's 18
then I find the one for 26x for x = 3 and x= 1 and I get 52

Then I subtract the areas and get 34 then I add it to the area bounded by the 26
and I got 60.

lionely said:
I think I got it now... the integral for x=0 and x=1 is 26x so it's 26..

then for the other side of the graph it's (x^4/4 -x) for x=3 and x=1 and that's 18
then I find the one for 26x for x = 3 and x= 1 and I get 52

Then I subtract the areas and get 34 then I add it to the area bounded by the 26
and I got 60.

Yes, x=0 to x=1. It's 26. From x=1 to x=3 it's the integral of 26-(x^3-1) which gives 34. Then you just add them. But your way works too.

Umm 1 question I know this might be common sense.. but
on these graphs, the one that looks like it covers more area is the one that I will subtract whatever the function? Like y=26 looks like it covers more than x^3-1.. but maybe it looks that way cause of my sketch sometimes I can't trust my sketch that much cause my work is very untidy.

lionely said:
Umm 1 question I know this might be common sense.. but
on these graphs, the one that looks like it covers more area is the one that I will subtract whatever the function? Like y=26 looks like it covers more than x^3-1.. but maybe it looks that way cause of my sketch sometimes I can't trust my sketch that much cause my work is very untidy.

The area between x=0 and x=1 is 26, no doubt, yes? Between x=1 and x=3 the value of 26 is above and x^3-1 is on the bottom. So it's the integral of 26-(x^3-1) which is 34. You just add areas. The graph is supposed to tell you which function is on top and which is on the bottom.

Related to How Do You Calculate Areas Enclosed by Curves and Lines?

1. What is the purpose of calculating the area under a curve?

The area under a curve is often used to measure the total quantity or value of something represented by the curve. In scientific research, it is commonly used to calculate the total amount of a substance in a sample, or the total energy produced by a reaction.

2. How is the area under a curve calculated?

The area under a curve is calculated by dividing the curve into small, equally-sized rectangles and then adding up the areas of these rectangles. The more rectangles used, the more accurate the calculation will be. This process is known as numerical integration.

3. What are the units of measurement for the area under a curve?

The units of measurement for the area under a curve will depend on the units of the x and y axes of the graph. For example, if the x-axis represents time in seconds and the y-axis represents velocity in meters per second, the area under the curve would be measured in meters (m).

4. Can the area under a curve be negative?

Yes, the area under a curve can be negative. This can occur when the curve dips below the x-axis, indicating a negative value. However, if the area under the curve is negative, it is important to consider the context of the graph and what it is representing.

5. In what situations would calculating the area under a curve be useful?

Calculating the area under a curve can be useful in a variety of situations, such as determining the total volume of a liquid or gas in a container, calculating the amount of a drug in a patient's bloodstream over time, or measuring the total amount of energy produced by a power plant. It can also be used to analyze and compare data in scientific experiments or to make predictions based on past trends.