How Do You Calculate Angular Velocity of a Merry-Go-Round Powered by a Dirtbike?

In summary, the problem involves a dirtbike turning a merry-go-round with a 650 kg mass and a radius of 2m. The dirtbike applies a tangential force of 3.00kN continuously. The angular velocity of the merry-go-round after 4s would be determined by the equations relating torque to angular acceleration and the moment of inertia. The angular displacement after 4s can also be calculated using these equations. The outer-most part of the merry-go-round would cover a certain arc-length, and the tangential velocity at the edge of the merry-go-round can also be calculated using the given information and the equations.
MeghanPfeif

Homework Statement

A dirtbike is being used to turn a merry-go-round with a 650 kg mass, and a radius of 2m, and can be treated as a rotating disk (I=1/2 MR^2). The dirtbike is applying a force of 3.00kN tangentially to the surface of the merry-go-round, in a continuous way.
a. If the merry-go-round were to be starting from rest, what would its angular velocity be after 4s?
b. After 4s, what is the angular displacement that has occurred, in radians?
c. What arc-length would be covered by the outer-most part of the merry-go-round?
d. What would the tangential velocity at the very edge of the merry-go-round be?

Homework Equations

KE= 1/2Iω^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Sitting at my desk in almost tears for 2 hours because I cannot figure anything out.

Physics news on Phys.org
MeghanPfeif said:

Homework Statement

A dirtbike is being used to turn a merry-go-round with a 650 kg mass, and a radius of 2m, and can be treated as a rotating disk (I=1/2 MR^2). The dirtbike is applying a force of 3.00kN tangentially to the surface of the merry-go-round, in a continuous way.
a. If the merry-go-round were to be starting from rest, what would its angular velocity be after 4s?
b. After 4s, what is the angular displacement that has occurred, in radians?
c. What arc-length would be covered by the outer-most part of the merry-go-round?
d. What would the tangential velocity at the very edge of the merry-go-round be?

Homework Equations

KE= 1/2Iω^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Sitting at my desk in almost tears for 2 hours because I cannot figure anything out.

Welcome to the PF.

Is the situation that the dirtbike is fixed somehow, and only applying an accelerating torque to the disk? What are the equations relating torque to angular acceleration and the moment of inertia (MOI)?

Related to How Do You Calculate Angular Velocity of a Merry-Go-Round Powered by a Dirtbike?

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of the rate of change of angular displacement of an object with respect to time. It is typically measured in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (°/s).

2. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity refers to the rotational motion of an object, while linear velocity refers to the straight-line motion of an object. Angular velocity is measured in terms of an angle, while linear velocity is measured in terms of distance traveled.

3. What factors affect angular velocity?

The main factors that affect angular velocity are the angular displacement of the object, the distance from the center of rotation, and the time it takes for the object to complete one rotation. Other factors may include the shape and mass distribution of the object, and any external forces acting on it.

4. How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time. This can be represented by the equation: ω=Δθ/Δt, where ω is the angular velocity, Δθ is the change in angular displacement, and Δt is the change in time.

5. What are some real-life applications of angular velocity?

Angular velocity is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and sports. Some examples of its applications include measuring the rotational speed of a spinning top, calculating the motion of planets in orbit, and analyzing the performance of athletes in sports such as figure skating and gymnastics.