How Do You Calculate Angular Acceleration in a Dual-Wheel Pulley System?

In summary: The tension in each rope and the acceleration of each mass is different. Remember that you want the angular acceleration of the wheel, not the linear acceleration of the masses. How are they related?In summary, the Homework Statement has two masses attached to ropes that are attached to wheels on a common axle. The two wheels are glued together so that they form a single object. The total moment of inertia of the object is 41 kg·m2. The radii of the wheels are R1 = 1 m and R2 = 0.4 m. If 12 kg is gently added to the top of m1, find the angular acceleration of the wheels.
royguitarboy

Homework Statement

Two objects are attached to ropes that are attached to wheels on a common axle as shown below. The two wheels are glued together so that they form a single object. The total moment of inertia of the object is 41 kg·m2. The radii of the wheels are R1 = 1 m and R2 = 0.4 m.

(a) If m1 = 24 kg, find m2 such that there is no angular acceleration of the wheels.

(b) If 12 kg is gently added to the top of m1, find the angular acceleration of the wheels.

Homework Equations

T=I(alpha)

alpha=change in velocity/ change in time

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure where to start for this. I know I need to figure out the Tension for the block, but I'm not sure how to go about doing this.

Homework Statement

Attachments

• pulley.gif
    pulley.gif
    11.8 KB · Views: 772
Physics news on Phys.org
Start by labeling all the forces acting on each mass and on the wheel.

Hint for a: It's in equilibrium. What does that tell you about the sum of the forces or the sum of the torques?

Hint for b: Apply Newton's 2nd law to each object and combine the resulting equations.

I know that the overall net Force is 0 because there is no acceleration. All I get when I apply Newton's Laws is F=T-mg. This would mean that the Tension equals mg, which I don't think is true. I think I need to figure out the relationship between the two tensions, but I'm not sure how.

royguitarboy said:
I know that the overall net Force is 0 because there is no acceleration. All I get when I apply Newton's Laws is F=T-mg. This would mean that the Tension equals mg, which I don't think is true.
It is most definitely true. (For part a.)
I think I need to figure out the relationship between the two tensions, but I'm not sure how.
By examining the torques on the wheel. They must total zero as well.

Wouldn't the tensions equaling mg mean that m2 would need to equal m1?

royguitarboy said:
Wouldn't the tensions equaling mg mean that m2 would need to equal m1?
Not at all. Each rope has its own tension: [itex]T_1 = m_1 g[/itex] and [itex]T_2 = m_2 g[/itex]. The tension in each rope cannot be equal, since the wheel is in equilibrium. (The ropes attach to the wheel at different radii.)

Last edited:
So how do I go about figuring out the tensions?

For part (a) the tensions are equal to the weights, as I thought you realized.

I understand that the tensions equal mass times gravity. I need to figure out what the second mass is, and I'm pretty sure I do this by figuring out how the tensions are related.

Right. Set the net torque on the wheel equal to zero. That will tell you how the tensions are related.

I'm sorry I'm having a hard time understanding this; The tensions must cancel each other since there is no acceleration right? Maybe if it's explained in another way I might get it.

royguitarboy said:
The tensions must cancel each other since there is no acceleration right?
No. The torques must cancel, otherwise the wheel will accelerate. Torque depends on both force (the tension) and distance from the axis (radius):

[tex]T_1 R_1 = T_2 R_2[/tex]

Ok, I have the first part now. For the second, I get that the T=m1(g+a) and T=m2(g-a), and then that a=(m1g-m2g)/(m1+m2). Is that even close for (b) If 12 kg is gently added to the top of m1, find the angular acceleration of the wheels ?

Last edited:
No, it's not that simple. The tension in each rope and the acceleration of each mass is different. Remember that you want the angular acceleration of the wheel, not the linear acceleration of the masses. How are they related?

Related to How Do You Calculate Angular Acceleration in a Dual-Wheel Pulley System?

What is rotational acceleration?

Rotational acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity, and is measured in radians per second squared. It describes how quickly an object's rotational speed is changing.

What is a pulley?

A pulley is a simple machine consisting of a wheel with a groove around its circumference, used to change the direction or magnitude of a force applied to a rope or cable. It is often used to lift or move objects.

How does a pulley affect rotational acceleration?

A pulley can affect rotational acceleration by changing the direction or magnitude of the force applied to an object. It can also increase or decrease the moment of inertia, which affects the object's rotational acceleration.

What is the relationship between pulleys and torque?

Pulleys can increase or decrease the amount of torque required to move an object, depending on their configuration and the direction of the force applied. The more pulleys used, the less torque is required to move an object.

How can rotational acceleration be calculated for a pulley system?

To calculate rotational acceleration for a pulley system, you need to know the force applied, the radius of the pulley, and the moment of inertia of the object. The formula is: rotational acceleration = torque / moment of inertia.