How do you calculate a thickness dependant impedance to a so

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of impedance between water and silicone as ultrasound passes through them. The specific acoustic impedance is defined for a particular medium and does not take into account the thickness of the material. The equation ##I_{reflected} = I_{original} \frac{(Z_{1}-Z_{2})^{2}}{(Z_{1}+Z_{2})^{2}}## can be used to calculate the fraction of intensity that gets reflected at the boundary between two media. The density of the medium has an impact on the linear attenuation coefficient for ultrasound of any particular frequency.
rwooduk
... sound wave?

I need a simple method to calculate the impedance between water and silicone as ultrasound passes through them i.e. how much of the signal is reflected at the water silicone boundary.

The problem is I am having trouble finding the required equations, Wiki is extremely complicated (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoustic_impedance) and other sites give an equation that doesn't include the thickness of the material (how is this possible? - please see image at end of this):

##I_{reflected} = I_{original} \frac{(Z_{1}-Z_{2})^{2}}{(Z_{1}+Z_{2})^{2}}##

My set up will be like this:

oW2VM97.jpg

The idea of the silicone is to stop the sample from harming the transducer, also the silicone can't be in contact with the transducer as this could also cause harm to it. But I want as little as possible impedance from the silicone so I need to know how to calculate a thickness dependant impedance.

Can anyone suggest an equation that would be suited?

Thanks for any help on this.

Table showing thickness dependence of the material:

main3_table1.gif

Physics news on Phys.org
rwooduk said:
to calculate the impedance between water and silicone as ultrasound passes through them
Specific acoustic impedance is defined for a particular medium, not between mediums.

rwooduk said:
Ireflected=Ioriginal(Z1−Z2)2(Z1+Z2)2
Btw, this equation only works if sound is incident normally on a medium boundary. (This appears to be the case here.)

I think you can simply use ##Z=\rho c## to calculate the specific acoustic impedance for any medium (##\rho ## is the density of the medium and ##c## is the speed of sound in that medium), and then use the formula you posted to get your answer.

Likes rwooduk
Many thanks for the reply.

PWiz said:
Specific acoustic impedance is defined for a particular medium, not between mediums.

Thanks, I see, so the impedance of a material determines the degree to which the sound wave is attenuated? Wouldn't there be an impedance at the boundary between materials, hence why it can provide a measure of reflected and transmitted wave?

PWiz said:
Btw, this equation only works if sound is incident normally on a medium boundary. (This appears to be the case here.)

I think you can simply use ##Z=\rho c## to calculate the specific acoustic impedance for any medium (##\rho ## is the density of the medium and ##c## is the speed of sound in that medium), and then use the formula you posted to get your answer.

How would thickness of the material be factored into the equation?

rwooduk said:
How would thickness of the material be factored into the equation?
It doesn't come into the equation. The specific acoustic impedance is a property of a medium. The thickness of the medium has no effect on its value. Perhaps you want to know about the attenuation of ultrasound within a particular medium? If so, you can (approximately) model its behavior: ##I = I_0 e^{-k x}##, where ##I_0## is the incident intensity, ##k## is the linear attenuation coefficient and ##x## is the thickness of the medium through which the ultrasound passes.
rwooduk said:
Wouldn't there be an impedance at the boundary between materials, hence why it can provide a measure of reflected and transmitted wave?
No. It's the difference between the specific acoustic impedance of the two media that determines the fraction of intensity that gets reflected.
rwooduk said:
so the impedance of a material determines the degree to which the sound wave is attenuated
Sort of. The density of the medium has an impact on the linear attenuation coefficient of the medium for ultrasound of any particular frequency.

Likes rwooduk
PWiz said:
It doesn't come into the equation. The specific acoustic impedance is a property of a medium. The thickness of the medium has no effect on its value. Perhaps you want to know about the attenuation of ultrasound within a particular medium? If so, you can (approximately) model its behavior: ##I = I_0 e^{-k x}##, where ##I_0## is the incident intensity, ##k## is the linear attenuation coefficient and ##x## is the thickness of the medium through which the ultrasound passes.

No. It's the difference between the specific acoustic impedance of the two media that determines the fraction of intensity that gets reflected.

Sort of. The density of the medium has an impact on the linear attenuation coefficient of the medium for ultrasound of any particular frequency.

Ahh I've got it! Thats really helpful! Many thanks!

Related to How do you calculate a thickness dependant impedance to a so

1. How do you calculate a thickness dependent impedance to a so?

To calculate a thickness dependent impedance to a solid, you first need to determine the thickness of the solid. Then, you will need to use the formula Z = (ρ × t)/A, where Z is the impedance, ρ is the resistivity of the material, t is the thickness of the solid, and A is the cross-sectional area. This formula takes into account the thickness of the solid and its resistivity to calculate the impedance.

2. What is the importance of calculating a thickness dependent impedance to a solid?

Calculating a thickness dependent impedance to a solid is important because it helps us understand the electrical properties of the material. It allows us to determine how much resistance the material will have at different thicknesses, which is useful for various applications such as designing electrical circuits or determining the conductivity of a material.

3. Can the thickness dependent impedance be calculated for all types of solids?

Yes, the thickness dependent impedance can be calculated for all types of solids as long as the material has a measurable resistivity and a clearly defined thickness. This formula can be applied to a wide range of materials, from metals to insulators, making it a versatile tool for studying the electrical properties of different materials.

4. Are there any limitations to calculating a thickness dependent impedance to a solid?

One limitation of calculating a thickness dependent impedance to a solid is that it assumes the material has a uniform thickness. If the thickness varies significantly across the material, the calculated impedance may not accurately represent the true electrical properties of the material. Additionally, this formula does not take into account other factors such as temperature or frequency, which can also affect the impedance.

5. How is the thickness dependent impedance used in practical applications?

The thickness dependent impedance is commonly used in practical applications such as designing electronic components, testing the quality of materials, and analyzing the performance of electrical systems. It allows engineers and scientists to understand how the thickness of a material affects its electrical properties, which is essential for developing efficient and reliable technologies.