How Do You Calculate a Line Integral in Physics for a Given Parametric Curve?

Your Name]In summary, the approach to finding I_0 using the given equations and attempting to solve for dm was correct, but there was a small error in the final integral. The correct value for I_0 is 3πk/4.
tronter

Homework Statement

Let [tex] x = \cos^{3} t [/tex] and [tex] y = \sin^{3}t [/tex] ([tex] 0 \leq t \leq 2 \pi [/tex]). Also [tex] \rho(x,y) = k [/tex].

Find [tex] I_0 = \int_{C} (x^{2} + y^{2}) \ dm [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So [tex] m = \int_{C} k \ ds = 3k \int_{0}^{2 \pi} \cos t \sin t \ dt [/tex].

Then [tex] dm = 3k \cos t \sin t \ dt [/tex]

So does [tex] I_0 = 3k\int_{0}^{2 \pi} \left( \cos^{6} t + \sin^{6} t \right)(\cos t \sin t) \ dt = 0 [/tex]?

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. Your approach is correct, but there is a small error in your final integral. The correct integral should be:

I_0 = 3k \int_{0}^{2 \pi} \left( \cos^{6} t + \sin^{6} t \right) \cos t \sin t \ dt

= 3k \int_{0}^{2 \pi} \left( \cos^{7} t \sin t + \sin^{7} t \cos t \right) \ dt

= 3k \int_{0}^{2 \pi} \left( \frac{1}{8} \cos^{8} t + \frac{1}{8} \sin^{8} t \right) \ dt

= \frac{3 \pi k}{4}

Therefore, the value of I_0 is not equal to 0, as you had assumed. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

No, your solution is not correct. The line integral in this case is a path integral, which means it is an integral over a specific path or curve. In this case, the path is defined by the parametric equations x = cos^3(t) and y = sin^3(t) where t ranges from 0 to 2pi.

To find the line integral, we first need to find the differential element ds, which represents a small segment along the curve. This can be found using the Pythagorean theorem as:

ds = sqrt(dx^2 + dy^2) = sqrt((-3sin^2(t)cos(t))^2 + (3cos^2(t)sin(t))^2) = 3sqrt(sin^4(t) + cos^4(t))dt

Next, we can use this ds to rewrite the line integral as:

I_0 = k * int_C (x^2 + y^2)ds = 3k * int_0^2pi (cos^6(t) + sin^6(t))sqrt(sin^4(t) + cos^4(t))dt

This integral is not zero and would need to be solved using appropriate integration techniques. It is important to note that the value of I_0 will depend on the value of k.

Related to How Do You Calculate a Line Integral in Physics for a Given Parametric Curve?

What is a line integral in physics?

A line integral in physics is a mathematical tool used to calculate the work done by a force along a given path. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the force, as well as the displacement of the object along the path.

How is a line integral different from a regular integral?

A regular integral calculates the area under a curve, while a line integral calculates the work done along a specific path. In a line integral, the function being integrated is multiplied by the differential of the path, rather than the differential of the variable.

What is the significance of line integrals in physics?

Line integrals are used in various areas of physics, such as electromagnetism, fluid dynamics, and mechanics. They allow for the calculation of work, energy, and other physical quantities along a specific path, which is often more useful than a traditional integral that calculates the total amount of a quantity.

What are the applications of line integrals in real life?

Line integrals have many practical applications in fields such as engineering and physics. They are used to calculate the amount of work done by a force in moving an object along a specific path, which is important in designing and analyzing various systems and structures.

How can I calculate a line integral?

To calculate a line integral, you must first determine the function being integrated and the path along which the integral will be calculated. Then, you must parameterize the path and set up the integral using the appropriate formula. Finally, you can solve the integral using integration techniques such as substitution or integration by parts.