How do we normalize an odd function in the Schrodinger equation?

• Thread starter CollectiveRocker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Normalization
In summary: I was stupid enough not to notice that. And my eyes hurt, so I can't read the first post again, but if you say there's a square root then there's a square root. Anyway, the final answer would still be the same. The limits from 0 to infinity will make it a non-zero number.So to answer the original question, you just integrate that sucker from 0 to infinity and then divide the function by that number. That's it.In summary, when normalizing a solution to the Schrodinger equation, we set it equal to 1 in order to maximize our chances of finding it. To normalize the function lψl^2 = Axe^((-x^2)/2), one can
CollectiveRocker
I realize that when we normalize a solution to the Schrodinger equation, that we are setting it equal to 1, in order to maximize our chances of finding it. The question which I have is how do you normalize : lψl^2 = Axe^((-x^2)/2). The problem which I see is the e^(-x^2)/2). What would you fellas suggest as the best way to go about this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Depending on your limits you can maybe use:

[tex]\int _0^\infty x e^{-ax^2}dx=\frac{1}{2a}[/tex]

Note that you can also use this if your integration limits are from minus infinity to infinity. Just multiply the above by two, because your function is symmetric. If you have other limits you can only approximate the integral.

btw; you're not normalizing a wavefunction to maximize your chances of finding it, but just to make sure you get a chance of 1 for finding it somewhere.

PS: here you can find some more integrals: http://www.sosmath.com/tables/integral/integ38/integ38.html

CollectiveRocker said:
The question which I have is how do you normalize : lψl^2 = Axe^((-x^2)/2).

u-substitution would work like butta'.

u=-x2/2
du=-xdx

etc

da_willem said:
Depending on your limits you can maybe use:

[tex]\int _0^\infty x e^{-ax^2}dx=\frac{1}{2a}[/tex]

Note that you can also use this if your integration limits are from minus infinity to infinity. Just multiply the above by two, because your function is symmetric. If you have other limits you can only approximate the integral.

btw; you're not normalizing a wavefunction to maximize your chances of finding it, but just to make sure you get a chance of 1 for finding it somewhere.

PS: here you can find some more integrals: http://www.sosmath.com/tables/integral/integ38/integ38.html

Actually, the function isn't symmetry, since x is an odd function while the argument of the exponential is an even function. So you end up with an odd function. So in this case, only the limits from 0 to infinity is the one that would give a non-zero value, since -inf to +inf will add up to zero.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Actually, the function isn't symmetry, since x is an odd function while the argument of the exponential is an even function. So you end up with an odd function. So in this case, only the limits from 0 to infinity is the one that would give a non-zero value, since -inf to +inf will add up to zero.

Zz.

Which makes me suspect that the given function, [itex]xe^{-x^2/2}=\psi (x)~not~ \psi ^2 (x)[/itex], or it may be [itex]\psi (r)[/itex]...

PS : Normalization is not about maximizing. It is simply ensuring existence.

Gokul43201 said:
Which makes me suspect that the given function, [itex]xe^{-x^2/2}=\psi (x)~not~ \psi ^2 (x)[/itex], or it may be [itex]\psi (r)[/itex]...

PS : Normalization is not about maximizing. It is simply ensuring existence.

Well, there's nothing wrong with that function being the wave function itself and not the the squared cousin. For example, this wavefunction can easily be a "trial" ground state wavefunction in spherical coordinates when we do the variational method. So here, x=r. Thus only the region for r = 0 to +infinity is physical. That's the region where it has to be normalized.

Zz.

Edit: Oh, I see what you mean. I reread the original posting and it does appear that the wavefunction itself had a sqrt(x) factor. I suppose there's really nothing wrong with that... it makes it consistent that the region of interest is only from 0 to +infinity, or else one would have an imaginary function in there...

Last edited:
ZapperZ said:

Zz.

Ofcourse you are absolutely right.

Related to How do we normalize an odd function in the Schrodinger equation?

What is normalization?

Normalization is the process of organizing and structuring data in a database to reduce redundancy and dependency. It ensures that each piece of data is stored only once, which improves data integrity and makes it easier to update and query the data.

Why is normalization important?

Normalization is important because it helps to eliminate data redundancy, which can lead to inconsistencies and errors in data. It also reduces the amount of storage space required for a database and improves the efficiency of data retrieval and manipulation.

What are the different levels of normalization?

There are five levels of normalization: First Normal Form (1NF), Second Normal Form (2NF), Third Normal Form (3NF), Boyce-Codd Normal Form (BCNF), and Fourth Normal Form (4NF). Each level builds upon the previous one and has specific rules that must be followed to achieve it.

How do you normalize data?

Data can be normalized by following a set of rules and guidelines, such as identifying primary and foreign keys, removing repeating groups, and creating separate tables for related data. It is also important to ensure that data is stored in the most appropriate level of normalization for the specific database and its intended use.

What are the advantages of normalization?

Some advantages of normalization include improved data integrity, reduced data redundancy, increased efficiency in data retrieval and manipulation, and improved database performance. It also makes it easier to update and maintain the database as it grows and evolves over time.