How do we compute an integral with a dot product inside ?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving work and a circular path, and how to evaluate the integral for this type of path. The speaker suggests evaluating the dot product first and clarifies that the line element for a circular path is r dθ θ. The integral limits will be the angles of the two end points.
mamadou
I was trying to solve a problem involving work , as we know :
[tex] w = \int_{a}^{b} \vec{f}.d\vec{s} [/tex]

but in my problem the path was cyrcular , so how to evaluate this kind of integral ?
9.PNG

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mamadou said:
I was trying to solve a problem involving work , as we know :
[tex] w = \int_{a}^{b} \vec{f}.d\vec{s} [/tex]

but in my problem the path was cyrcular , so how to evaluate this kind of integral ?

First of all, this is math. Secondly, it is hard to know exactly why are you are not able to do this, because presumably, you should know how to do a line integral by the time you are taking such a course. You also didn't provide sufficient information of the problem.

Assuming that this a "circular" path, and that your origin is at the center of this circular path, then ds is simply the line element of the circle, i.e.

ds = r dθ θ

where θ is the unit vector in the angular direction. Refer to the figure below.

line element.jpg

Then your integral limits will be the angles of the two end points.

Zz.

Related to How do we compute an integral with a dot product inside ?

1. How do we compute an integral with a dot product inside?

To compute an integral with a dot product inside, we use the properties of the dot product to simplify the integral. We can also use the method of integration by parts to evaluate the integral.

2. Can we use the dot product to solve integrals with multiple variables?

Yes, the dot product can be used to solve integrals with multiple variables. In this case, we treat the variables as constants and use the properties of the dot product to simplify the integral.

3. Is the dot product commutative when used in integrals?

Yes, the dot product is commutative when used in integrals. This means that the order in which the vectors are multiplied does not affect the value of the integral.

4. How do we handle limits when computing an integral with a dot product inside?

When computing an integral with a dot product inside, we can handle limits by using the properties of the dot product. We can also use the fundamental theorem of calculus to evaluate the integral.

5. Can we use the dot product to solve integrals with vector-valued functions?

Yes, the dot product can be used to solve integrals with vector-valued functions. In this case, we treat the vector-valued function as a vector and use the properties of the dot product to simplify the integral.