How do tailless SWIFT gliders maintain longitudinal stability without tails?

• Thread starter Frenemy90210
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spin
In summary, tailless aircraft like the SWIFT glider use special wing sections or wing twist to provide longitudinal stability and prevent it from going into forward or backward spin. This is achieved through reflex camber at the trailing edge or by twisting the wings to have different angles of attack at the root and tips. These methods ensure that the aircraft maintains stability in pitch without the need for a tail.
Frenemy90210
< Mentor Note -- Poster has been reminded to post links in future thread starts to help others understand the question being asked >

Since SWIFT gliders do not have tails, what stops them from going into forward/backward spin ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Link?

berkeman said:
Link?

Dont have any link. It was my guess that glider has more chances to go into forward spin being tail less. I am a newbie in aeronautics.

Frenemy90210 said:
Dont have any link. It was my guess that glider has more chances to go into forward spin being tail less. I am a newbie in aeronautics.
What's a SWIFT glider? You don't have any links to what that is?

rootone said:
I'd say it's referring to this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aériane_Swift
In which case the role of a vertical stabilizer at the tail is replaced by winglets on the main wing.
Like this?

http://www.jet-scout.com/pictures_big/260_pic1.jpg
260_pic1.jpg

berkeman said:
Yes; Thats right. Sorry earlier I misunderstood your question.

Edit : I thought you were asking for a link which says that SWIFT gliders have tendencies to go into forward spin; I did not realize that you were asking for link to the SWIFT glider itself.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes berkeman
http://www.newfoxy.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Control-Surfaces.jpg

If you look at your standard aircraft there are a lot of redundancy points. Technically the spoilers, the flaps, and elevators, and the ailerons will all effect pitch. During normal operation the elevators act as your primary pitch control while your ailerons act as roll control. But there are many stories of multiple control surfaces being damaged or destroyed and pilots still flying home. WHY? because the control surfaces are redundant.

With the glider you posted, there is only 1 wing, with however many control surfaces on said wing (I'm not sure if they just have ailerons, or spoilers and ailerons. The ailerons on the swift glider can still control pitch if they move up and down at the same time, it is only when they counteract each other (one up, one down) that roll occurs. To control pitch on a swift glider, one just needs to move the ailerons up and down together.

Likes berkeman
Frenemy90210 said:
Since SWIFT gliders do not have tails, what stops them from going into forward/backward spin ?

There are two main ways of providing longitudinal stability on a tailless aircraft...

1) Straight winged aircraft use special wing sections that have a reflex camber (sweep up) at the trailing edge. This and a forward center of gravity provide the necessary longitudinal stability. Example wing section for tailless aircraft:
image13_43.gif

2) Swept wing aircraft typically use wings that are twisted so the wing root and tips are at different angles of attack. Usually the wing tips are at a more negative angle of attack than the wing root. The twist can either be an actual twist or an aerodynamic twist or a combination of both. (Note: This should not be confused with washout which is to aid lateral stability close to the stall).

There is a good explanation of the issue here by someone who has designed wing sections for tailless aircraft..
https://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/flywing1.htm

Last edited:
Likes Asymptotic, berkeman and donpacino

Related to How do tailless SWIFT gliders maintain longitudinal stability without tails?

1. What are swift gilders in forward spin?

Swift gilders in forward spin are a type of microscopic organism that live in freshwater environments. They are characterized by their ability to spin rapidly in a forward motion, which helps them move through the water and capture prey.

2. How do swift gilders in forward spin reproduce?

Swift gilders in forward spin reproduce through a process called binary fission. This is when the organism divides into two equal parts, with each part growing into a new individual.

3. What do swift gilders in forward spin eat?

Swift gilders in forward spin are heterotrophs, meaning they obtain their food by consuming other organisms. They primarily feed on small aquatic creatures such as algae, protozoa, and bacteria.

4. What is the purpose of the forward spin in swift gilders?

The forward spin of swift gilders serves multiple purposes. It helps them move through the water, allowing them to search for food and escape from predators. It also helps them maintain balance and stability in turbulent environments.

5. How do swift gilders in forward spin impact their ecosystem?

Swift gilders in forward spin play an important role in their ecosystem as both prey and predator. They help to control the population of smaller organisms and provide a food source for larger organisms. They also contribute to nutrient cycling and help maintain the balance of the ecosystem.