How Do Swimmers Calculate the Force Exerted by Arm Strokes?

• Thread starter Joe123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the force exerted on a swimmer is the energy or pressure applied to their body as they move through the water, and it is measured using techniques like force plates, motion capture systems, and pressure sensors. This force is affected by factors such as body size and shape, swimming technique, and water temperature, and it increases with speed. However, it can be improved through proper training, technique, and the use of specialized equipment.
Joe123

Homework Statement

So the question i have involves finding the force exerted on a swimmer using only arm strokes through the water.

A snapshot of the swimmer is taken by a camera underwater when the swimmer's arm is vertical and pointing at the camera.
Here is a diagram of the hand:
nWj5Gzg.jpg

(forgot to label the top stream as A and bottom stream as B)

The question asks to calculate the Force component that drives the swimmer forward (in this case the x direction), at the time the image was taken.

Given values are u1=u1A=u1B= 3.5m/s
d1=d1A=d1B= 20*10^-3 m
Angle [itex]\alpha[/itex] = 25 degrees
d2A= 23*10^-3 m
d2B = 15*10^-3 m

Given Assumptions

The effective area of the hand is a rectangle, 0.15m *0.25m.
The density of water is 1000kg/m^3
The flow around the time the image was taken is approximately steady.
The pressure upstream where u1 was measured is the same on both sides of the hand, i.e. P1=P1A=P1B
The flow pattern is effectively two-dimensional, i.e, you would see the same pattern near the fingertips as near the wrist.

Homework Equations

A1V1=A2V2

Bernoulli's Equation form of

1/2(V2^2-V1^2)=-1/ρ(P2-P1)

The Attempt at a Solution

To start off with i found the velocities of each of the flow streams near the end (point 2)

To do this i used the ratios of the d's to get

V1A1=V2AA2 (height will be the same so)
V1d1=V2Ad2A
V2A= d1/d2A * V1

and i did the same for V2B

So the values for the velocities i got were
V2A=3.04 m/s
V2B= 4.67 m/s

Using these values i put them into Bernoulli's Equation

(V2A^2-V1^2)=-1/ρ(P2A-P1)
(V2B^2-V1^2)=-1/ρ(P2B-P1)
sub values and get:

(P2A-P1)= -1504.2 pascal
(P2B-P1)= 4779.45 pascal

I then subbed for P1 and got

(P2A-P2B)=-6283.65 pascal So this value is the Pressure difference between the flow streams.

I then used
(P2A-P2B)*Area(hand) to get the force
=-235.63 N
then for the force in the x direction (since the force acts normal to the object)
-235.63*Cos(115degrees) = 99.58 N

The value sort of sounds reasonable but I'm not sure if I've made any errors going about this.

In particular is there anything in the y direction i need to include?

Any feedback on the working would be appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you for your question. Your approach seems to be on the right track, but there are a few things that need to be clarified and corrected.

Firstly, when using Bernoulli's equation, it is important to note that it is only valid for a steady, incompressible, and inviscid flow. In this case, the flow is assumed to be steady, but it is not incompressible (since the swimmer is moving through the water) and it is not inviscid (since there is friction between the swimmer's hand and the water). Therefore, Bernoulli's equation may not give accurate results in this case.

Secondly, in your calculation of the velocities at point 2, you have used the ratio of the distances, but you have not taken into account the angle of the hand (25 degrees). This will affect the velocity of the flow streams and will change your final result.

Thirdly, in your calculation of the pressure difference, you have used the wrong formula. The correct formula is:

(P2A-P2B) = 1/2 * ρ * (V2B^2 - V2A^2)

Finally, in order to calculate the force in the x-direction, you need to take into account the angle of the hand (25 degrees) and the pressure difference (P2A-P2B). The correct formula is:

Fx = (P2A-P2B) * A * cos(25 degrees)

where A is the area of the swimmer's hand.

I hope this helps and clarifies any doubts you may have had. Keep up the good work!

Related to How Do Swimmers Calculate the Force Exerted by Arm Strokes?

1. What is the force exerted on a swimmer?

The force exerted on a swimmer is the amount of energy or pressure that is applied to the swimmer's body as they move through the water. This force is a combination of the swimmer's own propulsion and the resistance of the water.

2. How is the force exerted on a swimmer measured?

The force exerted on a swimmer can be measured using a variety of techniques, such as force plates, motion capture systems, and pressure sensors. These tools allow scientists to accurately measure the forces acting on a swimmer's body during different stages of their swim.

3. What factors affect the force exerted on a swimmer?

The force exerted on a swimmer is influenced by several factors, including their body size and shape, swimming technique, water temperature, and the type of stroke being performed. These factors can impact the efficiency and effectiveness of a swimmer's movements and therefore affect the force they are able to generate.

4. How does the force exerted on a swimmer change with speed?

The force exerted on a swimmer typically increases as their speed increases. This is due to the fact that as the swimmer moves faster through the water, they encounter greater resistance, which requires them to exert more force to maintain their speed.

5. Can the force exerted on a swimmer be improved?

Yes, the force exerted on a swimmer can be improved through proper training and technique. By improving their stroke mechanics and increasing their strength and power, a swimmer can generate more force and move more efficiently through the water. Additionally, using specialized equipment, such as swim fins and drag suits, can also help to increase the force exerted on a swimmer.